Why become a member? ×

Qtron+ Too Loud!!

Ruck

Hello I bought a used Qtron+ off a fellow bass chatter and now i have had a chance to use it in a rehearsal I have come to find its just too loud and I am unable to reduce the volume anymore, even when I turn the internal trimpot down. Switching from Low Pass to Mixed doesnt seem to make a difference either. Nor does playing softly.

Is this a faulty Qtron+ or are they all like it?

Cheers.

[quote name='Ruck' post='1074687' date='Jan 1 2011, 07:43 PM']Hello I bought a used Qtron+ off a fellow bass chatter and now i have had a chance to use it in a rehearsal I have come to find its just too loud and I am unable to reduce the volume anymore, even when I turn the internal trimpot down. Switching from Low Pass to Mixed doesnt seem to make a difference either. Nor does playing softly.

Is this a faulty Qtron+ or are they all like it?

Cheers.[/quote]

Hi
No, its not faulty - they all do it. See [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=114224&hl=qtron+volume"]Qtron volume thread here[/url] for discussion on the issue.
Another option to control the volume spikes, would be put a limiter pedal after it. Something like the cheap Behringer one would no doubt tame it.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='nick' post='1074807' date='Jan 1 2011, 09:59 PM']Hi
No, its not faulty - they all do it. See [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=114224&hl=qtron+volume"]Qtron volume thread here[/url] for discussion on the issue.
Another option to control the volume spikes, would be put a limiter pedal after it. Something like the cheap Behringer one would no doubt tame it.[/quote]

Great so until I mod it or buy a limiter its basically a useless pedal. Shame because it sounds incredible... What a retard to design such a great pedal with a crippling flaw..

Many other very popular pedals have equally irritating flaws, but they continue to be used regardless because they sound so good! My Korg G5 has TERRIBLE bypass, but I don't mind slabbing it in a true bypass loop to get rid of the problem. Admittedly the volume spike problem sounds like a troublesome issue, but modding it wouldn't cost the earth or be that much of an inconvenience, nor would buying a cheap Behringer Limiter. There's plenty of clones out there though which have fixed the problem, if you can't be bothered with having another pedal on your board you could always swap it for something similar?

[quote name='dumelow' post='1091713' date='Jan 16 2011, 07:19 PM']regarding the q-tron plus, have you tried flicking the switch over from "normal" to "boost" mode. i found that when doing this the gain knob then acts as more of a volume control. you do have to set it quite low though cause the pedal is very loud[/quote]

True when in boost mode, the gain which is normally a sensitivity control also (stupidly) doubles up as a volume control.
The problem is with that, as you say the pedal is so loud, the gain control when in boost mode has to be turned right down, thus also bringing sensitivity down with it.
With a level control at the back-end of the Qtron, & when kept in normal mode, the gain (sensitivity) control can be adjusted to what ever suits the effect your after.

[quote name='nick' post='1091813' date='Jan 16 2011, 08:56 PM']QUOTE (dumelow @ Jan 16 2011, 07:19 PM)
regarding the q-tron plus, have you tried flicking the switch over from "normal" to "boost" mode. i found that when doing this the gain knob then acts as more of a volume control. you do have to set it quite low though cause the pedal is very loud

True when in boost mode, the gain which is normally a sensitivity control also (stupidly) doubles up as a volume control.
The problem is with that, as you say the pedal is so loud, the gain control when in boost mode has to be turned right down, thus also bringing sensitivity down with it.
With a level control at the back-end of the Qtron, & when kept in normal mode, the gain (sensitivity) control can be adjusted to what ever suits the effect your after.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion but Ive already tried every configuration available on the pedal and theyre all too loud :) For now Ill be using the Qtron+ in BP mode with a clean blend until I can be bothered to find someone local to do the mod for me.

Edited by Ruck