Why become a member? ×

strange hole under my bridge

sambassman

[attachment=67356:Photo_0074.jpg]hiya chaps

i was taking all the hardware off my bass in preperation for paint stripping
and as i was taking the bridge off i came across a strange hole with a wire coming out of it.
[attachment=67354:Photo_0075.jpg][attachment=67355:Photo_0075.jpg]

can anybody tell me what this is for?

cheers
sam.

Edited by sambassman

[quote name='sambassman' post='1071871' date='Dec 29 2010, 04:03 PM'][attachment=67356:Photo_0074.jpg]hiya chaps

i was taking all the hardware off my bass in preperation for paint stripping
and as i was taking the bridge off i came across a strange hole with a wire coming out of it.
[attachment=67354:Photo_0075.jpg][attachment=67355:Photo_0075.jpg]

can anybody tell me what this is for?

cheers
sam.[/quote]

Yep.
Its the earth connection to the bridge - and yes, you definately need it... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1071881' date='Dec 29 2010, 04:12 PM']Yep.
Its the earth connection to the bridge - and yes, you definately need it... :)[/quote]

Sorry - that wasn't very helpfull was it? :)

Best thing to do with it is to wrap some tape round it to keep it clean and sand/spray around it.
When you come to reassembling the bass remember to unwrap the wire and make sure it gets a good contact with the metal underside of the bridge or you will get some nasty buzzing noises.

[quote name='icastle' post='1071989' date='Dec 29 2010, 06:44 PM']Sorry - that wasn't very helpfull was it? :)

Best thing to do with it is to wrap some tape round it to keep it clean and sand/spray around it.
When you come to reassembling the bass remember to unwrap the wire and make sure it gets a good contact with the metal underside of the bridge or you will get some nasty buzzing noises.[/quote]

i thought it was something like that. couldnt be too sure though :)
cheers pal :lol:

[quote name='sambassman' post='1072085' date='Dec 29 2010, 09:08 PM']i thought it was something like that. couldnt be too sure though :)
cheers pal :)[/quote]
If you use active pickups like EMGs (not just an active tone circuit but proper active pickups), you won't need an earth connection to the bridge but otherwise it's pretty essential.

[quote name='henry norton' post='1072523' date='Dec 30 2010, 10:25 AM']If you use active pickups like EMGs (not just an active tone circuit but proper active pickups), you won't need an earth connection to the bridge but otherwise it's pretty essential.[/quote]

yeh its all passive. just a normal fender.
cheers. ill keep it safe :)