Why become a member? ×

common recording mistakes

ironside1966

Over last year I have done a few reworks of band recordings done in project studios although the recordings were done by different people there seems to be the same common basic mistakes appearing time after time so I thought I post this and try to help some of you avoid making the same mistakes.
The gain structure in most of the files the recordings were clipped in quite a few places. With the modern day 24 bit digital recording there is no need to set the gain any higher then half way up the scale around -6 to -9.
Most of the tracks were running far too hot in fact the meters’ were on full, When using EQ or compression try to attenuate the gain of the output to match that of the input.

Another common mistakes is the heavy EQ and compression on every track. EQ and compression works best sparingly. The best use of EQ is to filter out the unwanted lower frequencies and a few DB cut or boost should be plenty. Too much use of EQ and compression makes it harder to mix as it eats up sonic space

In most of the DAW’s the native reverb is mediocre so best used sparingly or use the CPU hungry convolution instead.

One last word If you are paying someone for a recording have a listen to their other work first and also try to negotiate to get the files beforehand as this can cause a lot of bad felling afterwards

Actually recording things at a reasonable level is a big step forward. Too many records have been ruined in the past decade by the "loudness war". I much prefer a cooler recording; it's so much easier to mix and master and when you're done you've got a better record. Then you can just turn it up on your stereo, as God intended!