Why become a member? ×

Drum Machine Advice..

phil.mcglassup

Copying a drum pattern is not that difficult. What it lacks is feel. There is a swing setting on some drum machines and some programs have a randomisation thing built in. The thing is doing it so it sounds good. This was what I meant by programming well in my original post. Pocket, tempo dynamics, volume dynamics. Things that make the difference between a good performance and an OK one. Of course if you got a live drummer they might still be worse that a straightforward programmed drum part.

The other thing you might consider is sending your set list to a session drummer and having him make you a CD or getting someone to program the parts for you.

[quote name='fryer' post='1070196' date='Dec 27 2010, 03:32 PM']Here are the manuals for mine ( which is for sale ) which explains how to use one, and may help you decide how easy or difficult they are to use.[/quote]

I should post the two large manuals (the official, badly translated manual and the unofficial, easy to understand one) for the Roland R-8 for comparison.

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' post='1071159' date='Dec 28 2010, 06:40 PM']You've got me thinking about taking up drumming....but then we might struggle to find a bass player!!
As a semi-competent bass player in cover bands would I find it easy to learn? How long might it take to master the basics, to gigging standard, after a few initial lessons?

Decisions, decisions!![/quote]

I think having musical skills on the bass can help on the drums. What I think would transfer the best is being able to play along tight to a click. That's a very important skill on the drums as you can imagine. Of course because of the mechanics of playing the drums it is a bit different and some timing practice would still not go amiss on the drums either. Really it's not something you can pick up straight away and the amount of time it will take to be able to play simple songs to a gigging standard widely depends on your natural ability and also how much practice time you put in. Obviously if you could hold a candle to buddy rich you would probably pick it up very quickly or it might take a long time. It could be a few weeks, it could be a few years. I'm sure i'm once again pointing out the obvious here but all I'm saying is don't expect to be able to do it straight away or you'll feel like you're not any good and give up. The important thing is to keep at it. You might have problems to find a bass player, there always seems to be a shortage of both. Having said that, if you can be prepared to play either then you're more likely to get a band job or find someone for a band.

Personally I view myself as a musician who plays x amount of instruments rather than being a bass player or guitarist or drummer so it's not really massively bothered me. As long as I'm making music then it's cool. So really whether you pick up the sticks I reckon depends on how you view your role in music, either someone who enjoys specifically playing the bass, or someone who plays music and the instrument is a tool to get the music out there...

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' post='1071159' date='Dec 28 2010, 06:40 PM']You've got me thinking about taking up drumming....but then we might struggle to find a bass player!!
As a semi-competent bass player in cover bands would I find it easy to learn? How long might it take to master the basics, to gigging standard, after a few initial lessons?

Decisions, decisions!![/quote]

I think you should really consider either drum lessons or a book to learn from. Even if you don't ever gig, it will help you know what the drummer is doing, which is possibly one of the overlooked aspects of bass playing! Plus, if you want to program a drum machine well, know how to play drums. If you've got the time, it's worth it to expand your horizons musically.

However, I'll add that it is physically demanding and the practise can be very tedious. I know a guy who packed it in because he didn't respect the drums as an instrument and couldn't be bothered to practise. He couldn't get into a band because he wasn't tight enough and gave up.

If you're prepared to put the time in, you might find it very rewarding, but you have to treat it like any other instrument.

What a wonderful philosophy you guys have!!

When I worked out my bass parts for the covers that I used to do I would spend a lot of time working them out by watching Youtube videos and tab scores etc.
I can't read bass score but I can work out a decent bass line -and play it competently!!

Is it or can it be the same for drums? Could I get away with basic fills?

I can play a basic 4/4 time bass-snare with high-hats (eights?) in decent time so maybe that's a good starting point.

What on earth is a paradiddle?

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' post='1071945' date='Dec 29 2010, 05:42 PM']What a wonderful philosophy you guys have!!

When I worked out my bass parts for the covers that I used to do I would spend a lot of time working them out by watching Youtube videos and tab scores etc.
I can't read bass score but I can work out a decent bass line -and play it competently!!

Is it or can it be the same for drums? Could I get away with basic fills?

I can play a basic 4/4 time bass-snare with high-hats (eights?) in decent time so maybe that's a good starting point.

What on earth is a paradiddle?[/quote]

Its definitely a good start, but you have to be able to do it without really thinking about it or getting distracted etc. Most other players prefer that you play more basic fills and beats etc (i.e. underplaying the part), because its easier for them to follow and allows them to shine more when their solo comes up!

A paradiddle is one of the main "rudiments" of drums and is very useful for pulling off certain fills or patterns. It's not something you need to be able to do if you're programming a drum machine as it is really a means to an end, and how you mechanically play the part wouldn't matter to a machine.

If you consider that the normal way to play a fill on the drums is to play alternating with right ®, left (L), R, L strokes (either in 8ths or 16ths), so that you're playing R L R L R L....., a paradiddle is two single strokes followed by a double stroke.

So instead of playing R L R L R L R L....
You're playing R L R R L R L L....

When you describe it phonetically, it sounds like par - a - did - le, hence the name paradiddle.

If you google "drum rudiments" you will find many sites/youtube videos/charts devoted to all the rudiments, including paradiddles. Some are more useful than others for drumset, but are worth knowing if you plan on learning to play, because they will help you get around the kit easier.

Hope that's not all too confusing!

Personally, I'd be looking at drum software. I use a ZOOM Rhythmtrak 234, which is a relatively "old skool" drum machine. It's easy to get to grips with, but programming long and complex pieces into it is a chore simply because I much prefer the fast, uder friendly "drop and drag" stylings of modern software. The ZOOM unit is great for messing about with in your bedroom or using as a studio tool but for a full live set I'd look at something more accessible.