Why become a member? ×

Tobias basses in the UK?

bkman42

[quote name='bkman42' post='1069664' date='Dec 26 2010, 04:37 PM']Anyone seen any Tobias basses in UK bass stores?? Would love to get a hold of one :-([/quote]

when i went to denmark street in london a couple of years ago a couple of the stores had 2nd hand tobias basses and one had new tobias renegades and growlers but they were pretty dear and i can't remember what shop it was! hmmm... helpful. :)

I think Bass Direct might have one at the moment? It never seemed like many made it to these shores, and those that did have been keepers! They're not particularly rare used in the US, but they're fairly uncommon here. Well, the original ones of course, there are a few more Gibson era ones knocking around.

Hello everybody @ basschat, hope you all had lots of gigs and not too much turkey. I Know its not Tobias but spoke too guys @ Proel a few months ago about bringing in MTD Kingston ZX-5. I think that if enough of my fellow low enders holla and enquire about it they may bring it in (they did say September 2010) so keep watching. Peace & Groove Hard!! :)

MTD are pretty easy to get hold of in this country, which is good because they're fairly good basses. They don't quite have the magic of the older Tobias basses though, or the quality of sound. Thats a shame, as Gibson still appear to be knocking out their interpretation of Tobias basses. I recall the Nashville era basses from Gibson being fairly well praised but there were concerns about later Gibson instruments. I guess with the state of play being the way it is, Mike will never be able to make the old classics again. Just another great company swallowed up and watered down by Gibson!

I've had my 1992 Tobias Toby Pro IV-B for 4 years now and it's without doubt the nicest bass I've ever played. It was my 18th birthday present from my parents and nothing can touch it for versatility and growl. Lowest action i've ever got from one of my basses too. It was the only piece of my gear I kept when I had big money problems but now she's off having the finish buffed up as there are alot of scratches on the back and a chip to the headstock.

Sorry, I'll move on now. I've seen some newer Tobias basses in The Bass Cellar in Denmark Street but the guys in there are real arseholes. They wont let you try anything out unless you answer a whole bible of questions!