Why become a member? ×

EBS TD660 and Spector Euros

Steve Spector

Been looking at the TD660, but heard lots about the clear "hi fi" sound that is so favoured by slap guys. I play rocky/punky/indie stuff like U2, Smashing Pumpkins, Cure, Elastica, Papa Roach and many others - what it isn't is funky, but it's not thrash metal either. What I'm looking for is traditional thumping and warmth I suppose. I've got a Spector Euro 4 and 5.

Now I know advice #1 would be try it myself, and I might well, but looking for any opinions/exeprience of this amp and especially with the Spectors.

Many thanks,

Steve

[quote name='Steve Spector' post='1063595' date='Dec 19 2010, 03:12 PM']Been looking at the TD660, but heard lots about the clear "hi fi" sound that is so favoured by slap guys. I play rocky/punky/indie stuff like U2, Smashing Pumpkins, Cure, Elastica, Papa Roach and many others - what it isn't is funky, but it's not thrash metal either. What I'm looking for is traditional thumping and warmth I suppose. I've got a Spector Euro 4 and 5.

Now I know advice #1 would be try it myself, and I might well, but looking for any opinions/exeprience of this amp and especially with the Spectors.

Many thanks,

Steve[/quote]

The Fafner will definitely be more up your street :)

Edited by J.R.Bass

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1063803' date='Dec 19 2010, 06:12 PM']why not see what the guys you mention play?[/quote]

I have been looking and continue to - but none of them play Spectors!

Why the Fafner JR? I know it's said to have this extra warmth, but would the TD660 not be able to give a warm punchy sound too with the right settings and bearing in mind it has a tube? I'm just aware that the Spector has it's own tone and characteristics and want to get something that'll work well with it.

The others I had on my list were a Markbass LMKIII and the Ampeg SVT (either SVT4 Pro or SVT VR).

Thanks both for the replies.

Steve

[quote name='Steve Spector' post='1063595' date='Dec 19 2010, 03:12 PM']Been looking at the TD660, but heard lots about the clear "hi fi" sound that is so favoured by slap guys. I play rocky/punky/indie stuff like U2, Smashing Pumpkins, Cure, Elastica, Papa Roach and many others - what it isn't is funky, but it's not thrash metal either. What I'm looking for is traditional thumping and warmth I suppose. I've got a Spector Euro 4 and 5.

Many thanks,

Steve[/quote]

My main bass is a Red Plum Euro Spector 4 and I've got the EBS HD350 with proline cabs.

To be honest it's all subjective when trying to describe tone. To try and put a tag on the sound of the Spector into the EBS rig, I'd say it's punchy, crunchy, loads of bite and top end articulation. However, I'd hardly call it hi-fi. I tend to drive the preamp a little to get some breakup. The drive in the head is pretty special IMHO. Clear, crisp and loads of attack and pretty transparent. The EMG's in the Spector work really well in helping to make the tone of the bass come through.

The EBS heads are amazing bits of kit, really really flexible but they do excel at the transparent slap tone. However, grunt and punch is available in buckets if that's your bag.

T

I think that EBS is really flexible in terms of what it can be used for. Victor Bailey uses the Fafner (or at least did) and so does the guy from In Flames. In the US EBS are known as slappers amps whereas in Europe they are used by a lot of metal band. I think a lot of it is down to marketing mumbo-jumbo. Simply put I just consider them to be very good amps that can be used for any style. I use the old model Fafner myself, and it has no problem doing a driving rock sound. The new Fafner with the overdrive channel looks great and I would love to try it. That said the td600 is also perfectly capable of getting a good fat rock tone similar to the Fafner as well, it just looks less like a rock amp if nothing else. The Spector thing shouldn't really matter at all. I find the EBS stuff to very transparent, allowing the basic bass tone to shine through.