Why become a member? ×

Wishbass Stude - refinished

Thunderitter

£500 plus shipping (bass is located East Coast USA)

Specifications:

Make: Wishbass
Model: “Stude” fretless
Serial: #1230
Condition: Used, refinished
Truss Rod: no
Scale: 34” (2½+ octaves)
Body: Spalted Ambrosia Maplke
Neck: Five piece, through neck: Mahogany, Maple, Purpleheart
Fingerboard: Purpleheart, 20” radius, epoxied.
Finish: TruOil; gloss
Pick-up: 1 x soapbar
Controls: Vol, Tone, micro-switch (parallel/series/split), side jack input.
Bridge: Floating, Ebony
Nut: Ebony
Hardware: Schaller Strap locks, Grover Tuners
Strings: Rotosound flatwound Jazz 77s. (45-105)
Weight: 7lbs 1oz (on my postal scale)
For sale is a refinished and modified Wishbass, fretless bass guitar. From its distinctive hand shaped body, through neck and open headstock, this bass is designed to be earthy and organic, free from the normal metal (bridge, truss rod) of conventional bass guitars.

I say 'refinished' because a standard Wishbass comes with a basic finish and set-up and I have invested considerable time with this bass to get it into the condition it is today. This has included re-contouring, re-shaping, filling, sanding, epoxying the fingerboard, as well as the final finish itself, routing for the new pick-up, fitting new electronics, shielding and strap locks.

I’ve made a hobby from refinishing Wishbasses. I've currently got 10 of these so I'm thinning the 'herd' a little!

A Wishbass, custom ordered, starts from $500 (including shipping), but of course that wouldn’t include a full refinish and all the options added to this bass.

My basic refin currently runs at $250. With the optional tone control, side jack input, soap-bar pick-up, microswitch, schaller strap-locks, ebony nut and bridge, ebony knobs and epoxied fingerboard you’d be looking at over $300 in options.

If you are looking at this item, then you probably know a little about Wishbasses, some of the myths and a lot of the upside! If you don't then I'd recommend that you do some research before you bid. The Wishbass Club at www.talkbass.com is a good place to start for information. I have also posted build photos of my refinishing work at www.davesbassplace.com (click on refinishing). Note: this is not a production bass guitar, it is a one-off, hand-made bass; no two Wishbasses are alike. You should also visit www.wishbass.com

The body of the bass is Spalted Ambrosia Maple with some great marking and figure. The five piece, though neck is African Mahogany, Maple and Purpleheart. The fretboard is Purpleheart and has been leveled, epoxied, radiussed (20”) and then polished. The body has been reshaped, with the addition of a rear ‘belly curve’ and shaved down upper bout.

A Tru-Oil hand rubbed finish was applied (lots of coats!) polished and then given a coat of finishing wax.

The sopabar pick-up replaces the original EMG Select J and has been wired to be switchable between series, parallel and split, controlled via a micro-switch. Both cavities are shielded with copper tape.

Schaller strap-locks, a custom made ebony nut, ebony bridge, Rotosound 77s and a side jack complete the options on this bass.

I’ve refinished quite a few Wishbasses now. The new owner of this Wishbass will get a very nice bass without the requirement to devote the time, energy or skill to refinish it themselves. This is the chance to own a really nice refinished bass and to do so at a great price. This bass will give you immediate access to a very nice Wishbass with nice wood, great playability and amazing tone.

I am sure someone is going to love this bass and for sure it will be a conversation starter piece where ever you take it. I collected a few guitars and my Wishbasses are always the ones people are drawn to first. The great thing about this particular bass is that it is very useable bass too! It could be a mainstream bass and it certainly plays and sounds like one!

Please feel free to ask me any questions whatsoever about this beautiful, unusual and very useable bass.

its a crying shame we get clobbered with duty, vat and handling charges over here as it ruins an otherwise good price for a bass. its the nicest looking wish bass i have seen. did you apply the epoxy coating to the fretboard yourself? i would love to know with what and how its done?

Is the pickup raised significantly on the E string side or is that just a trick of the light?

I recall Wishbass well, especially from when they were talked about a lot on Talkbass. At first, there were concerns about their quality which lessened over time as people saw Wishnevsky getting better at building. Of course, the basses still typically needed further work once you'd bought them, but this seemed to be part of the charm for people like yourself who would buy them, get some enjoyment out of perfecting them and then sell them on.

This looks like a very tidy example!

• 2 weeks later...

Sold

I did the epoxy myself. The principal is pretty simple: mix the epoxy, pour it on making sure you get good coverage, smooth out, let dry/cure and then sand, radius and polish. The practice is what is hard this must be my 10th epoxy job and it's only know that I'm getting a result I'm happy with.

Edited by Thunderitter