Why become a member? ×

WARWICK TUNERS

thebrig

I have two Warwick Corvettes, and on both of them, the nut part that goes through the hole keeps working loose.
It seems that they are not long enough to tighten properly, barely catching the thread, so as soon as you start tightening the string, it just comes loose.
On one of my corvettes the tuners are chrome, and on the other one they are gold, but but both seem to have the same problem.
Has anyone else experienced this with Warwick tuners, and if so, what is the remedy?
I would love some advice on this.
Cheers

[quote name='thebrig' post='1058836' date='Dec 14 2010, 06:58 PM']I have two Warwick Corvettes, and on both of them, the nut part that goes through the hole keeps working loose.
It seems that they are not long enough to tighten properly, barely catching the thread, so as soon as you start tightening the string, it just comes loose.
On one of my corvettes the tuners are chrome, and on the other one they are gold, but but both seem to have the same problem.
Has anyone else experienced this with Warwick tuners, and if so, what is the remedy?
Cheers[/quote]

Somebody on the Warwick forum had this problem, and it turned out that his bass had a gloss finish that was extra thick, and the tuners weren't long enough to cope with the extra thickness. There was also mention of a dodgy batch of tuners.

Try contacting Warwick directly ([url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/support/request.php?katID=14549&cl=EN"]click here for link[/url]) and see what they say.

[quote name='thebrig' post='1058836' date='Dec 14 2010, 06:58 PM']I have two Warwick Corvettes, and on both of them, the nut part that goes through the hole keeps working loose.
Cheers[/quote]
I have never had this problem on my German Corvettes. Their tuners are quite cheap though, about £6 each to buy. I upgraded to Hipshot on one bass, fantastic tuners, but the Warwick ones have never let me down.

[quote name='mart' post='1058846' date='Dec 14 2010, 07:08 PM']Somebody on the Warwick forum had this problem, and it turned out that his bass had a gloss finish that was extra thick, and the tuners weren't long enough to cope with the extra thickness. There was also mention of a dodgy batch of tuners.

Try contacting Warwick directly ([url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/support/request.php?katID=14549&cl=EN"]click here for link[/url]) and see what they say.[/quote]
Both my basses have a matt finish on the front of the headstock, and just natural wood on the backs.

[quote name='silddx' post='1058853' date='Dec 14 2010, 07:15 PM']I have never had this problem on my German Corvettes. Their tuners are quite cheap though, about £6 each to buy. I upgraded to Hipshot on one bass, fantastic tuners, but the Warwick ones have never let me down.[/quote]
Both basses a German, maybe I should contact them.

[quote name='thebrig' post='1058860' date='Dec 14 2010, 07:18 PM']Both my basses have a matt finish on the front of the headstock, and just natural wood on the backs.[/quote]
Can you post a picture or two? Seems to me like there must be something wrong with the way they are fitted.

Did you buy them new? Are they German? Rockbass? Pro? Which model? How old? Etc.

Did you remove the tuners and they suddenly had a problem? Or did the problem develop suddenly?

Edited by silddx

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1058868' date='Dec 14 2010, 07:26 PM']Hmmmm, I've owned LOTS of Warwicks ([s]mostly[/s] all old ones) and not once had this problem, in fact I've had some of my Warwicks 15-20 years and not once have any of them ever needed any attention to the tuners. As Mart says the Warwick forum is a good place to look.[/quote]
Sounds to me like they are incorrectly fitted, I stand to be corrected though.

[quote name='silddx' post='1058864' date='Dec 14 2010, 07:21 PM']Can you post a picture or two? Seems to me like there must be something wrong with the way they are fitted.

Did you buy them new? Are they German? Rockbass? Pro? Which model? How old? Etc.

Did you remove the tuners and they suddenly had a problem? Or did the problem develop suddenly?[/quote]
Both German, 2007 & 2009.

Yes, I did remove them and put gold hardware on them (all purchased from Warwick).

I've since put the original chrome back on one of the basses, but still one of the tuner seems too short to tighten correctly.
I will try to get some pics soon.

[quote name='silddx' post='1058871' date='Dec 14 2010, 07:28 PM']Sounds to me like they are incorrectly fitted, I stand to be corrected though.[/quote]
They tighten up fine if I leave the washer off, but you have to have the washer on.
Strange that it is just one tuner on each bass, that is causing problems.

[quote name='thebrig' post='1059049' date='Dec 14 2010, 09:56 PM']Both German, 2007 & 2009.

Yes, I did remove them and put gold hardware on them (all purchased from Warwick).

I've since put the original chrome back on one of the basses, but still one of the tuner seems too short to tighten correctly.
I will try to get some pics soon.[/quote]
I have a feeling you may have installed them incorrectly since you are having problems with both sets. Mine are about the same age and no problems at all. I have also bought two sets of Warwick tuners for a colour swap, no problems at all. Be interested to see a pic or two mate. Front and back.

[quote name='silddx' post='1059053' date='Dec 14 2010, 10:00 PM']I have a feeling you may have installed them incorrectly since you are having problems with both sets. Mine are about the same age and no problems at all. I have also bought two sets of Warwick tuners for a colour swap, no problems at all. Be interested to see a pic or two mate. Front and back.[/quote]

I've owned two Warwick Corvettes (2003 and 2005, I still have the 2005) and there doesn't seem to be any problem with them.
I know this doesn't help, but there seems to be something about your particular bass or the way you fit the tuners... however I would find it strange that you can fit 3 tuners fine and fail at the 4th. Maybe your particular bass has a slightly thicker section around that tuner? It would be strange but... the other explanations seem strange too :)

[quote name='thebrig' post='1059051' date='Dec 14 2010, 09:59 PM']They tighten up fine if I leave the washer off, but you have to have the washer on.
Strange that it is just one tuner on each bass, that is causing problems.[/quote]

Is it the same tuner on both basses?

Try swopping one of the ill-fitting tuners with one of the others to see if the problem is with the tuner or the hole. If the problem is with the tuner then compare it with one of the good ones and see if you can spot any difference. At least that'll then be easy to replace and fix. If the problem seems to be with the hole then see if you can take some measurements and, again, compare with a "good" hole.

The 2009 bass should still be under warranty, so you should go back to your dealer or talk to Warwick. But the more information you have, the more help you'll get, which is why I suggest swapping things around first.