Why become a member? ×

Small-ish amp suggestions..

Rusco

Hi all,

I was set on a Marshall MB30 as a reasonably priced next step up from a crap 25w practice amp, however a couple of guitar playing friends have just asked me to join their band. This is mainly just for a laugh but to also possibly play the odd 4 song 10 mins set in the (small) local pub.

Will 30 Watts the Marshall has be enough for this or should I be looking for something bigger ?.

I don’t want something too physically big or too expensive as I only really play for my own enjoyment and my aspirations are limited !

Any suggestions ?

Thanks..

Its unlikely a 30watt amp will keep up in a band with a drummer, but if its only guitars, it may work.

I`ve got the Marshall MB15, great little amp, and - home use only - with the gain on 5, I`ve never had the volume on more than 3, as it would really be inconsiderate to my neighbours.

That said though, as per the previous post, in your position I`d look to spend the same amount of money on something 2nd hand and more powerful, then, if you start working with a drummer at a later point, yr amp will be powerful enough.

Thanks for the replies & suggestions. Sorry I should have mentioned they've also asked a drummer to join, so will be 2 guitars, drummer and me.

So sounds like I will need a few more watts than the Marshall's 30. I understand watts doesn't strictly equal volume, however that said should I be aiming for around 100w ish minimum ?. I noticed a few 2nd hand 60W amps for sale that were not either too expensive or physically big.

Thanks..

Yes I`d say, now that a drummers is going to be in the fold, 100 watts would be a minimum.

I`ve played in bands using less (my old Laney Linebacker 65 watt combo), and you really have to push the amps to be heard, and from experience, you have to select a tone that the amp will deliver at the volume needed, not necessarily the tone that you actually want.