Why become a member? ×

Superfly Amps

Shonks

Superly amp 500watt version is basically 2x250watt amplifiers. Unbridgeable apparently.

so I have two queries.

1. can I run just one cab off this, or am I doomed to carry 2 cabs to every gig?
Ashdown answered this enquiry by saying its ok to run just one.
My amps not under warranty, so if it blows, they have no liability. I dont trust their answer!

2: I have a 15" driver rated at 8ohms. Would I be right in assuming this would be ok to run off one side of the Superfly amp while running a Superfly 2x8 4ohm on the other output as they are 2 independent amps?

all suggestion if you know what your on about would be most welcome

thanks!!

[quote name='Shonks' post='1051782' date='Dec 8 2010, 03:24 PM']Superly amp 500watt version is basically 2x250watt amplifiers. Unbridgeable apparently.

so I have two queries.

1. can I run just one cab off this, or am I doomed to carry 2 cabs to every gig?
Ashdown answered this enquiry by saying its ok to run just one.
My amps not under warranty, so if it blows, they have no liability. I dont trust their answer!

2: I have a 15" driver rated at 8ohms. Would I be right in assuming this would be ok to run off one side of the Superfly amp while running a Superfly 2x8 4ohm on the other output as they are 2 independent amps?

all suggestion if you know what your on about would be most welcome

thanks!![/quote]

You can run just one cab off one side (min 4ohm) with no problems (I have one I have for rehearsal/backup and do just this)

You can run your 1x15 off one channel, and 2x8 ohm off the other channel. Problem is you can't balance the levels, so one cab could sound louder than the other, but it will not cause any problems to the amp

You will get the best output with a pair of 4ohm cabs (one per channel). The original superfly consept was for a pair of 4ohm 2x10 cabs, and is probably the best way to get the most out of these amps. They are not the loudest things on the face of the planet by any stretch of the imagination.

For what its worth, I would strip all the outer cassing off the amp as it adds loads of weight and can cause problems with overheating.

Dave

Edited by david_l_perry

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='1051808' date='Dec 8 2010, 03:46 PM']You can run just one cab off one side (min 4ohm) with no problems (I have one I have for rehearsal/backup and do just this)

You can run your 1x15 off one channel, and 2x8 ohm off the other channel. Problem is you can't balance the levels, so one cab could sound louder than the other, but it will not cause any problems to the amp

You will get the best output with a pair of 4ohm cabs (one per channel). The original superfly consept was for a pair of 4ohm 2x10 cabs, and is probably the best way to get the most out of these amps. They are not the loudest things on the face of the planet by any stretch of the imagination.

For what its worth, I would strip all the outer cassing off the amp as it adds loads of weight and can cause problems with overheating.

Dave[/quote]
thanks Dave. - can you explain why its cool to run on one cab?
it does actually mean one of the amps is running without anywhere to send its load...doesn't it? Or does the second amp compensate somehow?

out of interest...The 1x15 is all I have to replace the blown 15" in the 1x15 superly - s'pose its best to just get a replacement driver.
Only thing is....I dont know why it blew in the 1st place. I bought it blown, thats why I got it at a silly price.

Edited by Shonks

Yep, as David said you can run any cab off either output as long as it doesn't go lower than 4ohms.

Keep in mind that if you want any sort of volume with one cab then it needs to be very sensitive, the amps don't have much beef - my Hartke A70 is louder than my Superfly through most single driver 8ohm cabs and that's a 70w combo
It's loud enough with my Deltalite loaded EA cxl 110 though and sounds very nice to boot.

[quote name='Shonks' post='1051908' date='Dec 8 2010, 05:17 PM']it does actually mean one of the amps is running without anywhere to send its load...doesn't it? Or does the second amp compensate somehow?[/quote]

Doesn't really matter with solid state gear AFAIK (someone more qualified will no doubt clarify that).
You can run it with no cabs attached if you so wish, won't be very loud though!

[quote name='Shonks' post='1051908' date='Dec 8 2010, 05:17 PM']thanks Dave. - can you explain why its cool to run on one cab?
it does actually mean one of the amps is running without anywhere to send its load...doesn't it?[/quote]
The higher the impedance your speakers are, the less power you'll get from your amp, and the less hard the amp has to work to deliver that power (less current flowing = less heat). Running with no speakers plugged in is effectively an infinitely high impedance, so no power output and no current flow.

A

[quote name='Alien' post='1051958' date='Dec 8 2010, 06:04 PM']The higher the impedance your speakers are, the less power you'll get from your amp, and the less hard the amp has to work to deliver that power (less current flowing = less heat). Running with no speakers plugged in is effectively an infinitely high impedance, so no power output and no current flow.

A[/quote]
in that case, how come my Peavey blew up when it was being used as a pre amp in the studio. It was running with no speaker connected. The 'post line out' went into the desk. A week later the output stage gave out. It's a MkIII which is solid state innit? or isn't it?
the tech that repaired it said "
DONT DO THAT AGAIN! never run an amp without a speaker connected fool".
I had tinnitus for a week after he shouted at me. That's why i started this post in the first place.
...so is it because the Peavey is transistor, and that dont count as 'solid state'??
Someone define 'solid state' then if its not. :)
would have asked the techie but I was too scared ... :)

Edited by Shonks

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1053568' date='Dec 10 2010, 12:08 AM']A transistor amp is a solid state amp. Any amp which doesn't have an output transformer (ie pretty much all SS amps) is fine without a load.

If your tech said that i'd be worried about trusting him with any other amp repair[/quote]
did blow though after 10 years of normal use, and been alright since taking the advice

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1053633' date='Dec 10 2010, 01:47 AM']All the same, his advice was technically incorrect.

The fact that the amp blew that day was most likely pure coincidence, unless it's one of the few SS amps with an output transformer[/quote]

+1

MKIIIs are around 30 years old now so, in fairness, it was probably due a bit of a breakdown :)

Nothing in the user manual to suggest running it without a load isn't allowed - most manuals I've come across warn about running without a load if it's going to be detrimental to the amp:

[url="http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80300959.pdf"]http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/80300959.pdf[/url]

I think that OPs amp tech made a mistake.

• 7 months later...

your all bonkers - cant run any amp without a load, and thats why there are so many superflys out there with one blown side!!!

and all those guys who say you can - I dare you to put you to put your solid state amps on soak without a load and see how long it lasts!

:)

Edited by Shonks