Why become a member? ×

Fret buzz when ending a note

xgsjx

Can anyone give me some pointers here?

When I play a fretted note on my bass (any note, any fret), as I release the note the string buzzes on the frets. doesn't matter how quick I lift my finger off, it still does it!

Do I need to adjust the truss rod? I've raised & lowered the string height & it makes no difference.

The bass in question is my Ibby strung with TI flats.

Any advice would be great.

G

Sounds like it just needs setting up a bit better. Could be the trussrod but personally I'd give it a pro set up and pay £30 for it (or whatever you pay at your local shop). Changing strings can often be a time when the bass needs a tweak. Not a problem. If you know what you are doing with the trussrod, go for it. Might also benefit from the nut being checked and the saddles too.

Hmm, I just checked on my pretty well-set-up bass and it does the same (for a split second) - so I played around for a while and realised that with certain fret profiles it's pretty inevitable but that I'm automatically controlling it with my muting technique. If it doesn't buzz when the note's played then I can't see that altering the action or truss will get you any further than a certain point, but in the 'real world' for my playing at least it's a non-issue.
EDIT: If it lasts more than a very short time though, it is set-up related.

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1050523' date='Dec 7 2010, 01:47 PM']Can anyone give me some pointers here?

When I play a fretted note on my bass (any note, any fret), as I release the note the string buzzes on the frets. doesn't matter how quick I lift my finger off, it still does it!

Do I need to adjust the truss rod? I've raised & lowered the string height & it makes no difference.

The bass in question is my Ibby strung with TI flats.

Any advice would be great.

G[/quote]
I think your neck has too little relief.

Fret the E at the first fret with your left hand, and also at the 12th with your right hand. Its there a gap between the string and frets around the seventh fret? If not, you need to loosen the trussrod until there is a small gap about the thickness of a credit card. Then adjust your bridge saddles down slightly until notes don't rattle very much when fretted but you still have a comfortable action.

A little bit of rattle is nothing to worry about, mine are set up for a little rattle when played firmly.

Edited by silddx

Cheers all.

I tried what Silddx suggested by putting a capo on the 1st fret & fretting at the 12th (& also the 24th to check further up the board), I loosened my trussrod a 1/4 turn & retuned my bass & it has helped quite a bit.
There's still a slight amount there but I'll try another 1/4 turn tomorrow (I recall reading something like "you shouldn't do more than a 1/4 turn per 24 hours" or similar) & then I'll set the intonation if needs be.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1051191' date='Dec 8 2010, 12:40 AM']Cheers all.

I tried what Silddx suggested by putting a capo on the 1st fret & fretting at the 12th (& also the 24th to check further up the board), I loosened my trussrod a 1/4 turn & retuned my bass & it has helped quite a bit.
There's still a slight amount there but I'll try another 1/4 turn tomorrow (I recall reading something like [b]"you shouldn't do more than a 1/4 turn per 24 hours"[/b] or similar) & then I'll set the intonation if needs be.[/quote]
I personally don't believe that, or do that, and never had any problems, but i suppose all necks are different and it's best to play on the safe side.

Glad it helped a bit.