Why become a member? ×

what have i done wrong?!

chrisd24

I have been building a bass from parts i have sourced on here and elsewhere and I'm nearly done....well apart from when i installed my j retro,in passive mode its silent but in active its noisy as hell,here's some pics to show how i have wired it/shielded it etc,I'm pretty sure everything is in the right place but still noisy as hell....please help me bass chat this is driving me mental!

[quote name='neepheid' post='1049110' date='Dec 6 2010, 11:14 AM']Is something on the board touching copper when it shouldn't when it's assembled? Does it work fine when the board is lifted free from the body and plugged in?[/quote]

Nope just as noisy,and im pretty sure the board is clear from everything else.

[quote name='neepheid' post='1049142' date='Dec 6 2010, 11:50 AM']Using a brand new battery?[/quote]

yeah its brand new,just for a test i just placed a wire on the shielding and touched it on the ground form the bridge and it quietened it right down! is it OK to have another ground connection from the shield?

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1049174' date='Dec 6 2010, 12:24 PM']yeah its brand new,just for a test i just placed a wire on the shielding and touched it on the ground form the bridge and it quietened it right down! is it OK to have another ground connection from the shield?[/quote]

It is.
What it indicates though is that your wiring has a defective earth somewhere amongst it.
Find that and fix it and you'll be up and running :)

[quote name='chrisd24' post='1049588' date='Dec 6 2010, 05:07 PM']although a little noise when i crank the treble and high mids but that's to be expected i guess?[/quote]

Depends what the noise sounds like.
If it's a faint hiss then that's pretty normal and quite OK.
If you're getting a buzz or hum then there is possibly some scope for improvement.