Why become a member? ×

Bartolini Pickups... Which ones do I need for my...

StevieD_FenderP2009

Hey

I'm upgrading the pick ups in my Tobias Toby Pro 4-B so I've been looking at Bartolini Pick Ups as they seem to be the way forward for it. According to the description, the 2 models I'm looking at have "Powerful lows, low mids and bright treble" which is perfect for me as I don't have much mids on my amp but I have bass and treble nearly full.
So anyways, the 2 models in question are the
CF4CBC -dual coil humbucker at £85 per pickup
and the
MK4CBC - dual coil humbucker at £85 per pickup

Thing is, I don't know which one would fit the pick up cavity of my Tobias perfectly so would any of you guys know? According to Bartolini's site, this is the measurements of each pick up, maybe this is some help to someone

CF4CBC: 1.550" x 4.110"
MK3CBC: 1.35" x 4.25"

Also, will I need a new pre-amp to go with these pickups or can I carry on using the Tobias pre-amp for now?

Cheers!
Stevie

I'm considering going for 1 pick up and a new pre-amp from Bartolini together with one of the original pick ups from the Tobias until I can afford the other one instead of going for both pick ups at once as I've seen the pre-amp I want for the same price as the pick ups... Gah, what to do :)
Does any one have any experience with the above mentioned pick ups?

Cheers for the replies guys, I've managed to source the 2 pickups I want, one from a scottish company and one from an american company. Bloody typical eh? I've emailed both companies seeing if they have the other one to make it the matching pair and as a long shot, asking them if they have the pre amp that I want to go with it.
Was typical, thought I saw the Pre I wanted on the Fleeeeebay but it turned out to be the HR4.6 which has 2 volume, treble/bass stack and a blend control which isn't what I want at all, I want the HR4.5 which has 1 volume, 1 blend, 1 bass and 1 treble

[url="http://site.yourchoiceguitar.co.uk/index.php?userID=1157&licenseKey=bb413589b204a57cac2ad3b963f8f762"]http://site.yourchoiceguitar.co.uk/index.p...c2ad3b963f8f762[/url]

is the place for Barts and EMGs! Adam is a really great guy, though he is often busy

He can get you any Bartolinis you want! And he is a member of this forum!

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='1055940' date='Dec 12 2010, 12:36 PM']I was a bit dubious over doing it as I thought it might end up enbalancing the pick ups and ultimately wrecking my bass in some way.[/quote]

You'd not wreck your bass but you might have a discrepancy in output and/or tone between the pups, which tbh might not necessarily be in a negative way. Loads of people chuck different pups into basses and give no thought to anything other than is it active/passive; Billy Sheehan famously had a Gibson mudbucker fitted into his Precision (our very own 'the bass doc' had one fitted in a bass way before I heard of BS) with interesting results but it makes more sense to the the pair matched.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1055983' date='Dec 12 2010, 01:19 PM']You'd not wreck your bass but you might have a discrepancy in output and/or tone between the pups, which tbh might not necessarily be in a negative way. Loads of people chuck different pups into basses and give no thought to anything other than is it active/passive; Billy Sheehan famously had a Gibson mudbucker fitted into his Precision (our very own 'the bass doc' had one fitted in a bass way before I heard of BS) with interesting results but it makes more sense to the the pair matched.[/quote]

Well with you saying that, I know that Cliff Burton had a Gibson Mudbucker fitted as the neck pick up in his claret Rickenbacker 4001 and he also had a stacked Fender Stratocaster Single coil sized humbucker fitted into the bridge pick up rout during his time in Metallica. Very very odd combination but I suppose he liked it haha