Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT 3 pro

iommi1423

I am hoping to invest in a new bass rig and my main concern is over what head to buy

Im currently in a semi-pro hard rock band with two guitarists and a loud drummer
I play a 2008 US fender jazz bass

The amp ive been using for gigs until now is an Ashdown MAG 300 evo however its borrowed from a friend
The amp i use for practice is an Ashdown fivefifteen its a lovely sounding however its heavy and its useless as it has no DI output

I have been given the oppurtunity to buy an 'new' AMPEG SVT3PRO for 600 euro
Is it a good idea to buy this amp if not can you reccomend an head for me (my budget is 900 euro)

give us your suggestions regarding sound quality, reliabilty etc

Edited by iommi1423

I guess €600 isn't a bad price, and it is a nice amp head. I used to own one...

However!!!
It doesn't retain it's value much which isn't such a huge loss at the price if it's new.
Make sure it's a "made in USA" version as the the others (made in china I think) have a few QC issues.

The big thing for this amp will be what speakers you use with it.

It's 8ohm rating of "350" watts seems very under powered, it failed push my old Barefaced compact until it reached maximum output, where as a Orange terror Bass which puts out around 300watts into an 8ohm load when in it's 500w>4ohm setting managed it.

It's fine volume wise as long as you have a good cab and using the full 450w>4ohm.

Are you planning on buying a cab aswell?

And I dont fully understand the term "semi-pro" so it's hard tonsay what will be good/bad for you as we don't know what you need from an amp.

For example: I need my amp to: be tiny, be very light, very loud, have a DI out, have tube front end, good even tone, have a decent response ranging from below 40hz to above 4khz.
That's why I use what I use.

I don't understand why this underpowered thing seems to follow SVT3PRO's around! I used mine with 2 Mesa Boogie cabs and it was loud enough to match some very, very noisy guitarists I play with. In 10 years it was never not loud enough.

I was in the house band for a jam and used it run a Boogie 115 and Epifani 410 stack, that's a total of 1400 watts, and it never missed a beat. When I sold it the new owner paired it with an Ampeg 410 Classic and he made my ears ring when he tested it out. Turn the Master to 3 or 4 o'clock and use the Gain to get your volume. There's also a volume slider on the EQ if you need more.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1044551' date='Dec 2 2010, 12:55 AM']I don't understand why this underpowered thing seems to follow SVT3PRO's around! I used mine with 2 Mesa Boogie cabs and it was loud enough to match some very, very noisy guitarists I play with. In 10 years it was never not loud enough.

I was in the house band for a jam and used it run a Boogie 115 and Epifani 410 stack, that's a total of 1400 watts, and it never missed a beat. When I sold it the new owner paired it with an Ampeg 410 Classic and he made my ears ring when he tested it out. Turn the Master to 3 or 4 o'clock and use the Gain to get your volume. There's also a volume slider on the EQ if you need more.[/quote]

As I said it seems perfectly fine with some cabs, but with others you don't get alot of headroom or anything extra should you need it. I had in some unbranded 4x12 and it was a lot louder (but that cab was crap so I didn't use it)

To the OP I would imagine that it would be fine volume wise with te cab you linked to, also you can sways add another should you need/want to.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1044551' date='Dec 2 2010, 12:55 AM']I don't understand why this underpowered thing seems to follow SVT3PRO's around! I used mine with 2 Mesa Boogie cabs and it was loud enough to match some very, very noisy guitarists I play with. In 10 years it was never not loud enough.

I was in the house band for a jam and used it run a Boogie 115 and Epifani 410 stack, that's a total of 1400 watts, and it never missed a beat. When I sold it the new owner paired it with an Ampeg 410 Classic and he made my ears ring when he tested it out. Turn the Master to 3 or 4 o'clock and use the Gain to get your volume. There's also a volume slider on the EQ if you need more.[/quote]

I've used mine with a 600W 2x15 Mesa Diesel for the last 5+ years in a heavy rock band and I have NEVER had the volume more than halfway....and that's in venues of 1000 people!

[quote name='iommi1423' post='1049765' date='Dec 6 2010, 07:47 PM']Ohri tanks guys

but can i ask wats yer opinion on the ashdown ABM because if i cant buy this then ill probably buy the ABM[/quote]

Hey, just thought I'd give my opinion here.

I have been using the exact same Ampeg rig that you've got your eyes on. It is 100% worth it! Very versatile, and very loud. If you lose out on this one, I'd suggest you give ebay a quick look over, I found mine on there and it cost me £300. Half the R.R.P. and it's in perfect condition, came with a rack case too. That's the problem with SVT-3s, they don't have much resale value, but this can be used as an advantage.

Just what I'd do, I have never played the Ashdown ABM so I can't help there.

I completely endorse what was said before about the SVT-3 needing to see 4 Ohms in the speakers. Used one for years and it just sounds congested and restrained into 8 Ohms, but exeptional into 4 Ohms. Loudness is, of course, determined by the efficiency of the speaker, not their impedance, but the amp can deliver more when seeing a lower impedance.

Buy the Ampeg. if its 600 Euros for a new-old-stock USA one, and they are giving it the proper warranty as a new unit, then you are doing OK.
Plug it into the 410HE, and it will sound good.
However, buy the 410HLF (4 ohm version) and it will make the amp work harder and give you all the Ampeg tone and brute force you will ever need.
If you have the money and the car space, buy the 610, it is phenomenal!!!
Ashdown ABM are good, but the Ampeg will blow you away. Less is more, etc.

FWIW I found the SVT3 into a 410HLF very boomy and loud but the pair - the cab really - had no midrange tone to cut through with. I've found the head better with an 810 or a 115 + 210. Someone else suggested the ampeg 610 which I've never tried but I hear is very good.