Why become a member? ×

Funds are tight...

Phil-osopher10

So I have no money at the minute and have been using a 120W laney combo which is pretty bad! So I decided to look around the stores to see what we have, that I may be able to use.

I came up with 2 Peavey EuroSys 3 15" speakers, powered by a 600W powered mixer that I have DI'd into via a 20W roland guitar amp!
I'll post some pictures.

Does anyone know how to DI out to a PA? is it even possible?

When I get money would it be best to get a amp hed and use the speakers, get a combo or just get a good pre amp?

All comes down to budget I guess. For'proper' bass equipment a combo or head/cab is fine.
If you're gigging or rehearsing with other musicians, then I would suggest getting either
a combo or head /cab. 250 Watts should be enough to keep up with noisy guitarists.

Regarding the P A thingy you're presently using ,I'm sure somebody else here will advise.
Maybe someone could advise you about portable line6 gear that goes straight into PA without amp/combo.

Buy a DI, something like this:

It's cheap. Plug your bass into it then use the link out to connect to the power amp and the DI out to connect to the mixing desk and get rid of that Roland in your setup! That's how i would do it.

Cheers

Edited by Ghost_Bass

Not quite sure what the Roland amp does? (Maybe distortion?!!)
Would think that your bass would sound okay straight into the Peavey mixer amp - enough tone shaping
controls on that for most uses (unless you're wanting guitary distorted tones of course!)
Those old Peavey PA amps are ace - loud and bombproof. Use one myself for bass and it was fine.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1035393' date='Nov 24 2010, 06:13 PM']Buy a DI, something like this:

It's cheap. Plug your bass into it then use the link out to connect to the power amp and the DI out to connect to the mixing desk and get rid of that Roland in your setup! That's how i would do it.

Cheers[/quote]

or if you powered mixer has an output marked aux or monitor, use that, just like running out to a powered monitor. Just make sure its an unpowered send, otherwise stuff will get hot very quickly..

[quote name='JMT3781' post='1037086' date='Nov 25 2010, 10:40 PM']or if you powered mixer has an output marked aux or monitor, use that, just like running out to a powered monitor. Just make sure its an unpowered send, otherwise stuff will get hot very quickly..[/quote]

You're very right and would be the cheapest way to deal the problem however it implies plugging the bass directly to the mixer... i don't understand the science around mixers inputs and impedances but from what i've been hearing and reading all these years the majority of prople say it's always preferable to send a balanced signal to a mixer. Having said that, i've plugged my bass direcly to the mixer (to a insert input - mono Jack) a lot of times for lack of balanced channels and it sounded just fine. When i DI to a balanced channel i get the feeling that the sound gets tidier anf a bit fuller... maybe not the best words to describe it... laking a bit of english vocabulary in this one!

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1037242' date='Nov 26 2010, 01:00 AM']You're very right and would be the cheapest way to deal the problem however it implies plugging the bass directly to the mixer... i don't understand the science around mixers inputs and impedances but from what i've been hearing and reading all these years the majority of prople say it's always preferable to send a balanced signal to a mixer. Having said that, i've plugged my bass direcly to the mixer (to a insert input - mono Jack) a lot of times for lack of balanced channels and it sounded just fine. When i DI to a balanced channel i get the feeling that the sound gets tidier anf a bit fuller... maybe not the best words to describe it... laking a bit of english vocabulary in this one![/quote]

you are completely right :)

my suggestion was just in case the OP didn't want to buy anything else... so here we have one of those wonderful situation where we are both right.

Hoorah!

Aye, the reason that I use the roland is so that I send a balanced output to the mixer. Though I'm sure I'd be able to find a dirtly cheap DI about somewhere. I also have warfedale subs and tops in the garage... there also happens to be 2 1600W power amps in there! maybe no need to DI out to the PA with that going on. but I'm pretty happy with that set-up until I get my Eden amp! Though the speakers are good enough, for the mean time to keep the cost down. They are 300W at 8Ohm. I have jacked straight in to the mixer which was okay, but the roland is a touch better. I have one of those behringer bass v-amps, which I could use although I can't seem to find a send/return fx and when I jack straight in the hum is ridiculous!

I think this one would be the best for you:
[url="http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/behringer-ultra-di-di20-2-channel-di-splitter-box--4662"]http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/behr...itter-box--4662[/url]

If you use the "link" option you connect your bass to the Jack CH1 input and connect both balanced out's (CH1 and CH2) to the balanced channel inputs in your Peavey mixer and in the FOH mixer!

A simple solution for not much more than £20 :)