Why become a member? ×

Hi from Anthony w/ Xylem Basses here in the States

XylemBassGuitar

Hi Gang,

Anthony Olinger with Xylem Handmade Basses & Guitars here. I just recently discovered this forum and am really excited to start conversing with some bassists from across the pond!

I just moved my shop from Chicago, Illinois to a great little town in a valley of Colorado called Durango. The air, attitude and mountains out here are wonderful and the music scene is surprisingly happening for such a small town. You can go out and see a very good band almost any night of the week, and tons of bigger acts come here. My band opened for Dead Prez a few months ago and I got to go see the Thievery Corporation before that. I guess they like the town a lot too! Now I just have to work on getting the Scissor Sisters to come out this way. It's great to once again be in a place with lots of rock climbing too.

Anyway, I'm really psyched to contribute some of my knowledge and experience to BassChat and see what I can learn from everyone here as well (it's amazing the information you can find on a forum these days). Anyone interested in chatting about basses, building, playing or anything else just drop me a line, I'd love to hear from you.

My musical tastes are pretty eclectic and I love virtually anything that is idiosyncratic. I'm a big fan of Primus, Bob Log III (see him live if you get a chance, seriously), Gogol Bordello, all kinds of jazz, blues and rock greats, as well as a lot of the artists signed with Def Jux (especially El-P and Aesop Rock). I'm always looking for new ideas, theory and techniques in music, so if anyone would be kind enough to send their avant garde ideas my way it would be much appreciated!

See y'all around the forum.

Cheers,

Anthony

[quote name='alanbass1' post='1034298' date='Nov 23 2010, 12:47 PM']Hi Anthony, welcome aboard. I was based in Kansas City '05 to '08 and happened to pass through Durango when we went on a road trip to the Grand Canyon - I think we took the 550 off the I70 to see some friends in Farmington en route.[/quote]

Cool! A surprising amount of people know about Durango. Good 'ol Farmington too. Way back in the day when Durango was about half the size it is now (and there was no WalMart or Home Depot) you had to drive the hour to get to Farmington to go to things like malls with more than three shops and bowling alleys, ah the good 'ol days.

Thanks for your welcoming words guys.

Edited by XylemBassGuitar