Why become a member? ×

Anyone heard of Corley basses,also I have a les paul oddball

mikhay77

Hi there,trying to find any info on these.I am always impulse buying any bass if I have spare cash or time to overhaul.Have these 2 I got no info on.First up is Corley J/P style bass.Guessing jap due to the neck profile nut measurement 44mm nut to 58mm at widest point same as aria SB's and its longer than my Sb700! 1220mm.Yowzer.34" scale,its also got 23 frets! Slightly neck heavy due to the massive fender style headstock,schaller 3d bridge and machine heads,think the bridge pup is a Di Marzio,not sure about the p type but both have been dipped to stop microphonics.One of the best jazz body profiles I have seen,very slim and nicely sculptured.
Next is a les Paul Triumph style bass,made in Japan.Semi hollow body,30" scale,ultra low action,pick ups are like humbuckers,2 vol,2 tone and coil taps.Amazing big thumpy sound then coil tapped almost jazz style.Think its early seventies.Anyone any ides on either?
[attachment=64766:Corley.jpg][attachment=64767:corley2.jpg][attachment=64768:corley3.jpg][attachment
=64769:Corley6.jpg][attachment=64770:corley11.jpg][attachment=64771:Corley_4.jpg][attachment=64772:c
o
rley_5.jpg][attachment=64773:Corley_7.jpg][attachment=64774:Corley_9.jpg]Stuck it next to an aria and a jazz for an idea of size.Will load the Les paul ones on soon.Any info would be cool.[attachment=64813:Lp1.jpg][attachment=64814:lp2.jpg][attachment=64815:lp3.jpg][attachment=64816
:lp4.jpg][attachment=64817:lp5.jpg][attachment=64818:lp6.jpg]

Edited by mikhay77

[quote name='mikhay77' post='1033947' date='Nov 23 2010, 02:45 PM']Hi there,trying to find any info on these.I am always impulse buying any bass if I have spare cash or time to overhaul.Have these 2 I got no info on.First up is Corley J/P style bass.Guessing jap due to the neck profile nut measurement 44mm nut to 58mm at widest point same as aria SB's and its longer than my Sb700! 1220mm.Yowzer.34" scale,its also got 23 frets! Slightly neck heavy due to the massive fender style headstock,schaller 3d bridge and machine heads,think the bridge pup is a Di Marzio,not sure about the p type but both have been dipped to stop microphonics.One of the best jazz body profiles I have seen,very slim and nicely sculptured.
Next is a les Paul Triumph style bass,made in Japan.Semi hollow body,30" scale,ultra low action,pick ups are like humbuckers,2 vol,2 tone and coil taps.Amazing big thumpy sound then coil tapped almost jazz style.Think its early seventies.Anyone any ides on either?
[attachment=64766:Corley.jpg][attachment=64767:corley2.jpg][attachment=64768:corley3.jpg][attachment
=64769:Corley6.jpg][attachment=64770:corley11.jpg][attachment=64771:Corley_4.jpg][attachment=64772:c
o
rley_5.jpg][attachment=64773:Corley_7.jpg][attachment=64774:Corley_9.jpg]Stuck it next to an aria and a jazz for an idea of size.Will load the Les paul ones on soon.Any info would be cool.[/quote]
Best try Bassassassin......he knows all things Jap

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1033967' date='Nov 23 2010, 02:56 PM']Is the P pup in the J/P part of the original design? (a look under the pickguard will tell) I've never seen a pup's pole pieces be so out of alignment to the strings like that before.

.... even on a Fender. :)[/quote]
Ha ha,yeh definately original,as stated by another observer,its due to the neck width,also it seems an original scratch plate,standard one would be too big for the neck pocket,also the bell plate is a different shape to a fender one,another hand made item like the neck plate,like chrome brass,heavy!!!

Interesting pair!

The Corley looks innocuous at first but gets weirder the closer you look! I love the way the logo's a shonky knock-off of the old Peavey design! :)

I would say it's probably Korean or Taiwanese - it's a bit too strange for JapCrap, by the time the Japanese started making copies they tended to be a bit more accurate. If the J pup's a DiMarzio it should be 4-wire, coloured green, white, black & red. I doubt the Schaller bridge is original.

The LP bass is much more up my street, and I'd agree, early 70s. I've seen unbranded basses like this which have that big, horizontally-split headstock diamond a good few times - in fact I owned one back in nthe mists of time. Looks like then tuners aren't original on this. Got any pics of the back?

Unfortunately, I don't know who made these, but I'm fairly confident that they weren't from any of the "big name" Japanese factories. I've not seen this particular model with a brand name but the plain Les Paul bass version (which is what I had) appears with several different names, including Jedson.

Jon.