Why become a member? ×

Best from Liverpool

Tet

Hi all,

Have been flitting about here recently trying desperately to find a functioning amp... (More on that subject later).

Was recommended to turn in here, as I'd find "Gear you've never heard of that you'll almost certainly want to empty your bank account for", as the friend doing the recommending said! And yeah, I did, hahaha.

Anyway... I'm a 22-year-old bassist who's come over from the guitarist ranks, have been officially labeling myself a bassist for about 2 years now. Started that by playing in a punk/rock band with an LTD B-50 (bought for about £30, and covered in acid-green spray paint when I got it. Spent an hour or 2 cleaning that off with the aid of a rough cloth and a buttering knife, of all things...). Didn't have an amp when I started (seems to be a common occurrence amongst new bassists - Am I right?), then bought a "lovely" Behringer 450 watt piece of... rubbish. Speakers blew after the first gig - Didn't even drive it hard!
Anyway, I'm now in 2 bands, one being heavy rock/art-rock stuff, and the other being more gentle, springsteen inspired stuff. Have been playing guitar for 8 years before I started on bass, and had a brief spell playing Drums, Trumpet and Keys too.
I don't "do" theory stuff. That's not to say I don't appreciate having the knowledge, but I've always relied on my ears rather than any rules.

Have recently started getting a few requests to do a bit of session work here and there, so thought I'd better (finally!) get my own amp, and stop borrowing one from Crash Studios, where I usually practise.
So: I have a Stingray 4 with the 3 band EQ, and a Bartolini pickup in there, natural finish, from 2001. Coupling that with the Ashdown Mag Head and 410 Cab I got only the other day, and the omnipresent Boss TU-2. Looking to get hold of a Fultone Mosfet Bass Overdrive, but I might settle for the ODB-3.
I play with a few techniques really; whatever fits the song. The heavier band I usually use a plec, since I want the attack, the gentler band I use my digits.

Anyway, cheers, and I'll see you about.

Tet

Welcome to the Forum mate. From whats said on the forum and from what i can tell from a limited personal experience, I'd try one of those [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=73"]Barefaced cabs [/url]before i spent any money. You may even be able to try one for free if your lucky. Im on the list to try one myself.

Edited by daz

Cheers man,
The Ashdown Head & Cab is actually the new amp I got recently. Have played through a couple of friend's similar (or exactly the same) systems, and I love the sound I get with the Stingray going through it.
Though, will check out Barefaced stuff for future reference!

Tet

[quote name='daz' post='1033161' date='Nov 22 2010, 08:41 PM']Welcome to the Forum mate. From whats said on the forum and from what i can tell from a limited personal experience, I'd try one of those [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=73"]Barefaced cabs [/url]before i spent any money. You may even be able to try one for free if your lucky. Im on the list to try one myself.[/quote]

[quote name='MythSte' post='1033321' date='Nov 22 2010, 10:46 PM']Welcome! Im at uni in Liverpool, If you ever fancy a pint and a bit of a bass geek sesh let me know! :)[/quote]

Haha, cool Ste, what course you on? Got a few mates doing music-y things there at the moment!

[quote name='Tet' post='1033351' date='Nov 22 2010, 11:06 PM']Haha, cool Ste, what course you on? Got a few mates doing music-y things there at the moment![/quote]

Nothing Music-y I'm afraid, I have a load of friends at LIPA rubbing it in my face daily aswell! I'm on a business and economics course at the moment.

Also if you know anyone that needs a casual bassist, I'd be happy to help! :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='1033353' date='Nov 22 2010, 11:09 PM']Nothing Music-y I'm afraid, I have a load of friends at LIPA rubbing it in my face daily aswell! I'm on a business and economics course at the moment.

Also if you know anyone that needs a casual bassist, I'd be happy to help! :)[/quote]

Aha, if I hear of anything in the locality, I'll let you know chief.

Yeah, I had friends who went to LIPA. But, as previously mentioned, I don't "do" the study of music. Just let it happen naturally, myself, so I don't envy them. And there's some pretty epic bands out of that place too, in Liverpool.

[quote name='BIG.J' post='1033384' date='Nov 22 2010, 11:28 PM']Welcome to the forum, I am also local for future refference..Lol! Thinking of getting together with a bunch of N.West Basschatters soon.

Watch this space..Lol

J.[/quote]

Cool mate, get it arranged! Got a mate who's on here too (Under what name, though, I have no idea...), he'd probably be up for that.

All geeks together, hahahaha.

Alright matey! From your neck of the woods also, used to study at LIPA. Welcome on board.

EDIT - Mythste, I didn't realise you were so close matey. I dep at Hannah's bar sometimes on a Thursday night with a mate of mine's band on Hardman Street, would be good to see you out one night!

Edited by risingson

[quote name='Tet' post='1033387' date='Nov 22 2010, 11:31 PM']Cool mate, get it arranged! Got a mate who's on here too (Under what name, though, I have no idea...), he'd probably be up for that.

All geeks together, hahahaha.[/quote]

Guilty as charged. Alright Tet, was wondering when you'd turn up, welcome to the party!

Always up for a geek-out, would be nice to put faces to some other names round here.

[quote name='risingson' post='1033470' date='Nov 23 2010, 02:17 AM']Alright matey! From your neck of the woods also, used to study at LIPA. Welcome on board.

EDIT - Mythste, I didn't realise you were so close matey. I dep at Hannah's bar sometimes on a Thursday night with a mate of mine's band on Hardman Street, would be good to see you out one night![/quote]

Cheers man, I'm in Hannah's occasionally, will keep an eye out!

[quote name='mike257' post='1033512' date='Nov 23 2010, 08:43 AM']Guilty as charged. Alright Tet, was wondering when you'd turn up, welcome to the party!

Always up for a geek-out, would be nice to put faces to some other names round here.[/quote]

Hahaha, there he is. Brilliant shout getting me on here Mike!
Also, I may have embroidered your words slightly when I quoted you in the OP. Think I was paraphrasing, rather than directly quoting, hahaha.

Edited by Tet

[quote name='risingson' post='1033470' date='Nov 23 2010, 02:17 AM']Alright matey! From your neck of the woods also, used to study at LIPA. Welcome on board.

EDIT - Mythste, I didn't realise you were so close matey. I dep at Hannah's bar sometimes on a Thursday night with a mate of mine's band on Hardman Street, would be good to see you out one night![/quote]

Ive only seen bands there on a monday night, Guy playing a nice lakland through a GK rig - If that was you your a cracking player! Hannahs is a great bar, let me know next time your out? :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='1033994' date='Nov 23 2010, 03:22 PM']Ive only seen bands there on a monday night, Guy playing a nice lakland through a GK rig - If that was you your a cracking player! Hannahs is a great bar, let me know next time your out? :)[/quote]

Hmm not me I'm afraid, I'd be the chap with the Fender and the Eden rig! Could be a new chap. I've not been down to play this term but if I do I'll most certainly give you a shout. Always nice to nerd it up about bass in between sets :)

[quote name='risingson' post='1034005' date='Nov 23 2010, 03:30 PM']Hmm not me I'm afraid, I'd be the chap with the Fender and the Eden rig! Could be a new chap. I've not been down to play this term but if I do I'll most certainly give you a shout. Always nice to nerd it up about bass in between sets :)[/quote]

Oh you bet! Its "open mic" on mondays but last time they just had a guest drummer and a few guest singers, it seemed a bit of a personal circle on stage so I didnt want to get up. But yeah, I'll look forward to that - And if you want to try any of my gear just give me a shout! The Mesa scout cab and Trace Twin valve is a particularly sweet little setup!

[quote name='MythSte' post='1034007' date='Nov 23 2010, 03:32 PM']Oh you bet! Its "open mic" on mondays but last time they just had a guest drummer and a few guest singers, it seemed a bit of a personal circle on stage so I didnt want to get up. But yeah, I'll look forward to that - And if you want to try any of my gear just give me a shout! The Mesa scout cab and Trace Twin valve is a particularly sweet little setup![/quote]

That sounds excellent mate. Will do my best to make it over and when I do I'll let you know.