Why become a member? ×

Replacement For Marshall VBA400 Amplifier

amnesia

I'm in a bit of a quandary.

I have a Marshall VBA400 amplifier that I'm not completely in love with anymore. It just doesn't do 'it' for me like it did. :)

I've had a nibble of interest from a buyer which is great, but:

Roughly how much are these beasties worth second hand these days? I appreciate that condition is obviously a factor.

More importantly, what on earth will I replace it with?

I am open to all suggestions, but I want to retain that 'strip-the-hide-off-an-elephant-at-400yrds' power and dirty valve sound. Think Nikki Sixx / Nickelback, but with better hair. :)

Over to you... :lol:

[quote name='umph' post='1030273' date='Nov 20 2010, 11:44 AM']these havn't been doing to well at the moment, i've seen them go for around 350 - 600 on ebay. You're not gonna get the same kinda valve power for that kinda money.[/quote]

I appreciate that I will have to get my hand in my pocket. :)

I'm just looking for options that people have experience with.

I`m a Marshall man, but have had to relook at my gear, due to age (mine) and weight (gear) issues. Having just gone to the Orange Terror Bass, and been totally knocked out with it, why not look at the Orange AD200. Seems to get a lot of praise here on Basschat. From my experience with the Terror, in comparison to all the Marshalls that I`ve had, it seems to have thicker low-mids, and is definately a grindy old-school feel-the-bass sound.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1030416' date='Nov 20 2010, 01:46 PM']Get it biased again and checked out, might just be the bias has gradually drifted and doesn't quite sound the same any more.[/quote]

+1 maybe even go use some ashdown combos or something and go back to it and fall in love again ;o

Try another cab perhaps, I've just bought two SVT 210AV cabs and I'm absolutely lovin my new sound and all my amps, it's changed my whole sound, I put them up against my late 90's Trace 410 and I feel sick that I've been playing through that all this time and not even realized it sounded so crap.

[quote name='SS73' post='1031075' date='Nov 21 2010, 12:40 AM']Try another cab perhaps, I've just bought two SVT 210AV cabs and I'm absolutely lovin my new sound and all my amps, it's changed my whole sound, I put them up against my late 90's Trace 410 and I feel sick that I've been playing through that all this time and not even realized it sounded so crap.[/quote]
Good point. Theres a Marshall VBC 412 for sale on Basschat at the moment - £250ono. Seeing as its the dedicated cab for the amp, may be a good start. I can thoroughly recommend them, as I have one and its easily the best cab I`ve ever played through. I previously used a Marshall 4x10, and the difference in power and depth of sound was amazing when I got the 4x12.

Edited by Lozz196