Why become a member? ×

Ken Smith "Burner Deluxe" 6 String 1992

franzbassist

I recently picked this up in a part-trade with Voxpop (top guy, recommended), but having spent some serious playing time on it I have come to the realisation - once again - that six strings are just not really my thing; will I ever learn? :)

Anyway, this particular bass plays beautifully, easily the best of the four Smith 6s I have owned, as the neck is nice and shallow (front to back) and the 16mm spacing means you can get around it with ease. Action is low and fast. It balances well and is a very managable 10lbs.

As Voxpop said in his ad, the bass is in [i]excellent[/i] condition for its age, the only wear of note being a chip on the back of the top horn. It also comes in a worn but fully functional Smith teardrop-shaped hard case.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Burner line of Ken Smith basses, they were made between 1989 and 1998. Basic construction was carried out in Japan, using woods sourced from the USA, with final assembly and QC in USA.

The specs on this bass are:
[list]
[*]3 Piece Laminated Maple 34” scale Neck
[*]24 Fret Rosewood Fingerboard with Genuine Mother of Pearl Top & Side Dots
[*]Translucent Blue High Gloss Polyester Finish on Ash Body
[*]Smith BT Active 2 Band EQ Circuit ( Individual Bass & Treble Cut/Boost, Pickup Blend, Master Volume Control with pull knob to switch to passive mode)
[*]Smith Humbucking Soapbar Pickups
[*]Smith Quick String Release Bridge, machined from Solid Brass - Black
[*]Smith Custom Tuners - Black
[*]Dunlop Straplocks - Black
[*]Smith Tapercore Strings
[*]Final Set-up done by Ken Smith
[*]String Spacing 9mm at nut and 16mm at bridge
[*]Weight: a shade over 10lbs
[/list]

Marc and I valued this bass at [b]£900[/b], so that's what I'd like to get back. If it's of interest to anyone you can try it out at my gaff in NE Hampshire, or I can take it to work with me in WC2 if any London BCers fancy a spin on it. If it needs posting we'd have to work that out separately at additional cost.

The bass is also listed on eBay for £1k and will go to The Gallery as a commission sale for something similar in due course, but I will honour the £900 Basschat price for the forseeable future.

Cheers

Gareth

Edited by walbassist

[quote name='DuhBassMan' post='1028232' date='Nov 18 2010, 05:40 PM']I am highly interested in this bass....is it still available and how much is that in US currency?

[email protected][/quote]

Yes, still available, but £900 is about USD1440 and that's before shipping. I'm sure you could get one cheaper in the US.