Why become a member? ×

MARKBASS TRAVELLER 15"

mybass

Anyone using this cab and what do you think?
I've been using 10" cabs for years but thought of getting this 15" to link with a 2x10.
Interested to see if it isn't too boomy. I had the big 15" cab a few years back, great for big stages
but a bit too big a sound over the 2x10 on top as I was doing 100/120 capacity places at the time.

[quote name='mybass' post='1027513' date='Nov 18 2010, 12:50 AM']Anyone using this cab and what do you think?
I've been using 10" cabs for years but thought of getting this 15" to link with a 2x10.
Interested to see if it isn't too boomy. I had the big 15" cab a few years back, great for big stages
but a bit too big a sound over the 2x10 on top as I was doing 100/120 capacity places at the time.[/quote]

I use both the Traveller's and they are rather good. With one exception. The Piezo tweeter. This is obviously dependent on what kind of sound you like and if you're going for a vintage type sound then you won't need it on very much (if at all). If you go for a slap or a trebly tone, you're going to have some problems especially if you use active basses in trying to control it all.

From my experience, turning up the tweeter significantly past half will just lead to it clipping and loads of mids. Just loads - so much your eyes will bleed. Turn it down to 4/10 roughly and you're wonder where all the top end cut went if you play in a loud band with a hard hitting drummer. I've been toying with flogging both my Markbass cabs for this very reason and replacing them with a Barefaced, or replacing the tweeters. On the other hand, I have no idea if the latter is even possible.

The 151P most certainly isn't boomy, but it does have the characteristic (but slight) 250Hz hump that most Markbass cabs I've tried seem to have. Depends how flat you want the response really.

Naturally, these are my issues and you may have something else in mind.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='1027937' date='Nov 18 2010, 02:14 PM']I use both the Traveller's and they are rather good. With one exception. The Piezo tweeter. This is obviously dependent on what kind of sound you like and if you're going for a vintage type sound then you won't need it on very much (if at all). If you go for a slap or a trebly tone, you're going to have some problems especially if you use active basses in trying to control it all.

From my experience, turning up the tweeter significantly past half will just lead to it clipping and loads of mids. Just loads - so much your eyes will bleed. Turn it down to 4/10 roughly and you're wonder where all the top end cut went if you play in a loud band with a hard hitting drummer. I've been toying with flogging both my Markbass cabs for this very reason and replacing them with a Barefaced, or replacing the tweeters. On the other hand, I have no idea if the latter is even possible.

The 151P most certainly isn't boomy, but it does have the characteristic (but slight) 250Hz hump that most Markbass cabs I've tried seem to have. Depends how flat you want the response really.

Naturally, these are my issues and you may have something else in mind.[/quote]

ta for the info on these.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1027948' date='Nov 18 2010, 02:20 PM']I've owned three Markbass 15s and they were all a little wanting. Can't really say what the problem was (the front ported unit was also huge). I certainly got better tone from a 12" Mesa Walkabout cab.

C[/quote]

Maybe the 12" Markbass is better than the 15" then.
thanks for the info