Why become a member? ×

Nice silicon fuzz for bass (active)?

1976fenderhead

[quote name='umph' post='1025873' date='Nov 16 2010, 02:55 PM']big muff[/quote]

hmmm well as I've been told the Tone Benders have 1 less gain stage and 1 less set of clipping diodes than the Big Muff, which is probably why I prefer them to the Big Muff... So really, a Big Muff but a bit less fuzzy is another way of putting what I'm after ;-)

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='1025880' date='Nov 16 2010, 02:03 PM']hmmm well as I've been told the Tone Benders have 1 less gain stage and 1 less set of clipping diodes than the Big Muff, which is probably why I prefer them to the Big Muff... So really, a Big Muff but a bit less fuzzy is another way of putting what I'm after ;-)[/quote]

big muff has one set less of clipping diodes, get one and snip the diodes.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='1026419' date='Nov 16 2010, 09:47 PM']DAMN! That looks good! :)[/quote]
it sounds even better :)
`kin good price too considering its sound quality and versatility...
i cant record any clips at this precise moment in time (half way through relocating) but theres this link if thats any help....?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTpEfFwRgRQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTpEfFwRgRQ[/url]

I'd look at the Subdecay Tomato Fuzz (Flying Tomato) I love mine, I have all 3 flavours of the Fuzz Face now

Tomato Fuzz (Silicon) - Most versatile of the lot, works with any bass any where in your signal chain due to the buffer.
Huckleberry (Hybrid) - Most dynamic of my fuzz's lots of range, also sound the most vintage of these 3
Ghost Fx Custom Fuzz Face (Germanium) - Not spent any time with this really but sounded huge the other night

I've got up for sale a Tone Factor Fuzz Saw that is all Silicon and a great small fuzz, huge wall of sound out of it, soundclips are in the thread, pretty rare as well.

the big muff and tone bender are virtually identical other than the muff has a pair of extra clipping diodes. i'm not aware of it having an extra gain stage.

modding my old russian big muff was pretty easy, i put a switch in that takes out the clipping diodes so it goes between muff mode and tone bender mode.

If you are handy with a soldering iron here is the link

[url="http://rkerkhof.ruhosting.nl/Taas/Mods/Big%20Muff.htm"]http://rkerkhof.ruhosting.nl/Taas/Mods/Big%20Muff.htm[/url]

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='1026680' date='Nov 17 2010, 11:31 AM']I'd look at the Subdecay Tomato Fuzz (Flying Tomato) I love mine, I have all 3 flavours of the Fuzz Face now

Tomato Fuzz (Silicon) - Most versatile of the lot, works with any bass any where in your signal chain due to the buffer.
Huckleberry (Hybrid) - Most dynamic of my fuzz's lots of range, also sound the most vintage of these 3
Ghost Fx Custom Fuzz Face (Germanium) - Not spent any time with this really but sounded huge the other night

I've got up for sale a Tone Factor Fuzz Saw that is all Silicon and a great small fuzz, huge wall of sound out of it, soundclips are in the thread, pretty rare as well.[/quote]

I'd looked at the flying tomato before, I think I might take the plunge now, since it's easy to get in the UK as opposed to the Oxide... I'll get it online to try at home. If I don't like it or don't think it's worth the extra £££ I'll just return it and go for a Colorsound clone...

But the separate tone controls, the bias pot and the active/passive switch seem to make it a winner... :)

I can recommend the ZVex Mastotron fuzz, which is a silicon based fuzz near-identical to the Woolly Mammoth (but with added impedance knob for handling high or low impedance signals at the input). Lots of spit and snarl on top but can be dialled out if you want something warmer. Can get really glitchy gated robotic-esque sounds with the waveform knob too (if that's your bag!). 3-position subswitch also allows for the low-end to be passed through unaffected to varying degrees to help keep the low end. Can be had for a bargain new and even-more-so second hand.

Very cool for guitar as well :)

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1029154' date='Nov 19 2010, 01:18 PM']I can recommend the ZVex Mastotron fuzz, which is a silicon based fuzz near-identical to the Woolly Mammoth (but with added impedance knob for handling high or low impedance signals at the input). Lots of spit and snarl on top but can be dialled out if you want something warmer. Can get really glitchy gated robotic-esque sounds with the waveform knob too (if that's your bag!). 3-position subswitch also allows for the low-end to be passed through unaffected to varying degrees to help keep the low end. Can be had for a bargain new and even-more-so second hand.

Very cool for guitar as well :)[/quote]

Thx, I considered it before but all Zvex pedals always sound a bit over the top to my ears :) I'm after something that has to be smooth, defined and as dynamic as possible for a fuzz...

Well, I got the Tomato and it's going back unfortunately :-( My problem with it is that even with bias all the way up, it still sounds gated!!?? Like it's breaking up all the time, not smooth or creamy at all which is what I'm after. I tried it with both Z settings and didn't fancy any. I get a more usable fuzz from my M9 (bar the dead dynamics) so I'm afraid this is going back and it's back to the drawing board (i.e. Colorsound Bass Fuzz clone) for me...

It's a shame because it looks great on my board :)

[quote name='Wud' post='1030560' date='Nov 20 2010, 05:14 PM']The Iron Ether Oxide Fuzz is truly fantastic.

As are Earthbound Audio pedals -

[url="http://earthboundaudio.blogspot.com/"]http://earthboundaudio.blogspot.com/[/url][/quote]

Yeah I've read a lot about the Supercollider. Probably great but I feel uneasy about buying a pedal from abroad due to the expense it will be to return it if I'm not happy...

• 5 weeks later...