Why become a member? ×

Advice re. active PA cabs. Budget £650

warwickhunt

I need to source a pair of powered speakers for installation/use in my school, the budget is a max £650.

I've decided to go for a pair of active 12's as they are 'probably' better suited to the environment; 10's might be found lacking to fill the Hall (not massive but medium/large) and 15's are likely to be a bit too large/heavy to be lifting off the wall mounts and storing. The cabs may also be required to act as monitors for larger school productions (my RCF system will do the FOH).

Looking at Soundslive's site (my local supplier but I'm not tied to have to use them), I've narrowed it down (based on budget and 12" drivers) to the following pairs of cabs.

Behringer Eurolive B412 DSP @ £641
DB Cromo 12 @ £600
HK F.A.S.T. 12 @ £649
Wharfedale Titan 12 @ £600

Has anyone any experience of any of these cabs or have I missed an obvious winner that would trump the above?

The cabs would need to be purchased new so unfortunately 'used' cabs, no matter how good, are not an option!

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1023678' date='Nov 14 2010, 06:12 PM']I need to source a pair of powered speakers for installation/use in my school, the budget is a max £650.

I've decided to go for a pair of active 12's as they are 'probably' better suited to the environment; 10's might be found lacking to fill the Hall (not massive but medium/large) and 15's are likely to be a bit too large/heavy to be lifting off the wall mounts and storing. The cabs may also be required to act as monitors for larger school productions (my RCF system will do the FOH).

Looking at Soundslive's site (my local supplier but I'm not tied to have to use them), I've narrowed it down (based on budget and 12" drivers) to the following pairs of cabs.

Behringer Eurolive B412 DSP @ £641
DB Cromo 12 @ £600
HK F.A.S.T. 12 @ £649
Wharfedale Titan 12 @ £600

Has anyone any experience of any of these cabs or have I missed an obvious winner that would trump the above?

The cabs would need to be purchased new so unfortunately 'used' cabs, no matter how good, are not an option!

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. :)[/quote]

I've been looking at the larger Studiomaster stuff, but they also do a GX12A - 12" Active, 140W each - just over £300 for a [b]pair[/b] and they're even prefitted with the standard 35mm top hats!

[url="http://www.studiomaster.com/products/gx.htm"]http://www.studiomaster.com/products/gx.htm[/url]

We've used Studiomaster desks and power amps for years now, they have a good reputation and have been 100% reliable.

[quote name='Stewart' post='1023875' date='Nov 14 2010, 08:12 PM']These are often recommended (though I haven't heard them personally...):

[url="http://www.studiospares.com/pa-speakers/studiospares-fortissimo-12a-active-single/invt/248250/"]Studiospares 12" Active PA[/url][/quote]

The Studiospares stuff certainly has a lot of support on Sound on Sound's PA forum. I gather they're actually Carlsboro but without the name or price tag.

FWIW I've had some db Technologies actives (250W + 50w biamped) for 3 years. I got them from Thomann when the exchange rate was abit more favourable and they've done a good service.

We've been using Tapco/Mackie Thump TH15a cabs the past year or so and they're fantastic value for money IMHO.

Might be a litttle too big in terms of size, but weight wise shouldn't be an issue.

Also have a set of Titan 8s which we use as monitors and for rehearsing which are surprisingly pokey.