Why become a member? ×

Fell in love with this yesterday...

Grand Wazoo

Yeah I know what you are saying and I agree that the price might be unaccessible to some, but I am always moving a lot of gear and I have got a nice float of savings, certaing things might be expensive but if you can afford it they are worth it. For example the cab comes with a high quality speaker, [url="http://professional.celestion.com/bass/pdf/BL15-400X8.pdf"]http://professional.celestion.com/bass/pdf/BL15-400X8.pdf[/url] best money can buy for the amp, all the valves settings are ceramic, so none of the cheap plastic you get with Mesa or other expensive brands, the components are all first class, everything is hand made and I have seen it with my own eyes at the factory, so in a way you pay for quality and this amp has the lot.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1032939' date='Nov 22 2010, 05:35 PM']Yeah I know what you are saying and I agree that the price might be unaccessible to some, but I am always moving a lot of gear and I have got a nice float of savings, certaing things might be expensive but if you can afford it they are worth it. For example the cab comes with a high quality speaker, [url="http://professional.celestion.com/bass/pdf/BL15-400X8.pdf"]http://professional.celestion.com/bass/pdf/BL15-400X8.pdf[/url] best money can buy for the amp, all the valves settings are ceramic, so none of the cheap plastic you get with Mesa or other expensive brands, the components are all first class, everything is hand made and I have seen it with my own eyes at the factory, so in a way you pay for quality and this amp has the lot.[/quote]

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm at that fortunate stage of life to be able to afford one of these if I wanted to, a statement which probably sounds vulgar in today's economic climate. My point is that premium components or not, it's a lot of money for a 30w combo which is going to be of limited practical use other than recording or quiet practice.

For me, who would only be able to use this for home practice, I guess it's going to be the Little B'stard and my Schroeder cab :)

[quote name='JPJ' post='1033404' date='Nov 22 2010, 11:40 PM']Oh don't get me wrong, I'm at that fortunate stage of life to be able to afford one of these if I wanted to, a statement which probably sounds vulgar in today's economic climate. My point is that premium components or not, it's a lot of money for a 30w combo which is going to be of limited practical use other than recording or quiet practice.

For me, who would only be able to use this for home practice, I guess it's going to be the Little B'stard and my Schroeder cab :)[/quote]

Didn't the OP just rattle on about how loud this thing is?

[quote name='4 Strings' post='1037091' date='Nov 25 2010, 10:45 PM']Didn't the OP just rattle on about how loud this thing is?[/quote]

At the end of the day it's 30w, it can only ever get so loud.

To me, home practice levels means the air pressure in my ears increases so much that I feel like I'm in 0 gravity.

And the fact is that you can most definatly get something that is, a lot louder(bigger in sound, whatever) more practical, more road resistant and probably lighter, with it in my opinion sounding just as good.
Ok so I do like the sound of an all tube head but in real world terms the suitable nuances of all tube amps don't make much difference in a band mix.

Does look cool though.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1037192' date='Nov 26 2010, 12:21 AM']At the end of the day it's 30w, it can only ever get so loud.

To me, home practice levels means the air pressure in my ears increases so much that I feel like I'm in 0 gravity.

And the fact is that you can most definatly get something that is, a lot louder(bigger in sound, whatever) more practical, more road resistant and probably lighter, with it in my opinion sounding just as good.
Ok so I do like the sound of an all tube head but in real world terms the suitable nuances of all tube amps don't make much difference in a band mix.

Does look cool though.[/quote]

My two other amps are both 500W Class D one is a Mark Bass Combo CMD102P 2 x 10" to which I have swapped the head with a tube one so its tube preamp / transistor power amp and an Ibanez Promethean 500W all trans. They are both extremely loud when connected to larger cabs. But neither of these give you that goosepimple effect than this Ashdown when you plug a bass in, Ashdown has got this so right that it has spoiled the way I hear the other two. The Mark Bass is the muzz nuts and the Promethean is dodle to carry about but I am now so attached to this Ashdown that at the cost of breaking my back I am carrying it around to every gig and rehersal, and remember it's got an XLR balanced output, you can connect it to a PA or mike it up if you need. However as I have found out this can cope well with small to middle size gigs, so far I played it at a private function in a club in Surrey Quays packed with over 150 Sweedish revellers, with just the bass and the amp, 2 guitars, electronic drum kit, keyboard and 2 singers and everyone could hear me fine including myself.

I fully appreciate your argument.
And the 1x15 must make a significant improvement on volume.

Personally I like to have at least 100w into a 15 inch, purely for a decent amount of clean headroom.

I know that tube what's are louder than SS watts, put I've had to play with a 15 inch combo before I think it was 60watts and it was just poor.

Obviously I'd have to experience it in person before making a solid judgement.

I fully appreciate your argument.

Personally I like to have at least 100w into a 15 inch, purely for a decent amount of clean headroom.

I know that tube what's are louder than SS watts, put I've had to play with a 15 inch combo before I think it was 60watts and it was just poor.

Obviously I'd have to experience it in person before making a solid judgement.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1037923' date='Nov 26 2010, 04:11 PM']I fully appreciate your argument.

Obviously I'd have to experience it in person before making a solid judgement.[/quote]

Looks like they were listening...