Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Explorer

SPHDS

I really like the look of the Explorer bass and am rather tempted to get one, but having never been able to find one to try out, (like I have been able to with Ricks and Warwicks - really like but can't afford, yet!) I am just wondering if they are any good, or just a bit of a looker with no talent? Also if I were to get one, what is a reasonable price (don't mind something used as long as it is in pretty good shape - no enormous gouges or scrapes/chips!) (ie would £160 be a fair price!)

Opinions welcomed

Cheers!

The Thunderbird is a tamed version of this.

The Explorer has the same pickups as the thunderbird but in different locations.

The Explorer is set neck, usually korina for the body and mahogany for the neck

The neck is one piece so you'll need to be careful as the bit behind the nut is the weakest part of it. On the thunderbird they use a scarf joint which is much stronger.

Cases are almost impossible to find but one solution I saw over on the Epiphone forum is to use a double rifle case. You can actually pick one up cheaper on Ebay than it would cost you for a regular case.

Nut width varies between 1.5" to 1.7" and I've seen various other sizes quoted as well.

They're £240 new from Thomann and Epiphones don't hold their value as well as Fenders, especially now for whatever reason, so you could probably get one anywhere from £120 to £160.

They are very long so, just like with the Thunderbird, you will need to change your style slightly.

I've had my Thunderbird for a few months and it feels entirely normal to me.

One last thing - get a Comfort Strap or similar to help reduce the neck dive

Edited by Delberthot

I think Delber has hit the nail on the head with this one - certainly knows his Epiphones!

I'd personally like either of the BC Rich or Jackson variants. The shape looks slightly more balanced than my old Ironbird - well, either that or the Charvel Star someone pointed out.

I have one and I agree totally with what's been said so far.
They are nice basses to play, but yes, you do need to slightly adjust your playing style due to the length.

The stock pickups sound good I think and there is a noticable difference in tone between the two. With the tone control and 3 way selector you can achieve a good variation for different styles of music.

In term of a case; although it doesn't offer great protection, I use the Stagg acoustic bass bag. The corners could get damaged though so I have added some extra padding to be sure.
I had a hard case made initially, and it is absolutely huge!