Why become a member? ×

Looking for a not-so-funky filter

deej

As the title says really.

I dont like my filters to be thin and quacky, so im looking for something throatier and deeper, more wah like. I only really use it with dirt so I need it to work well with that. I didnt particularly get on with a Boomstick Bottom Feeder, and my current Groove Regulator is too thin and funky for me.

Any suggestions to check out? I was looking at the MXR BEF as all those knobs surely mean theres a range of sounds in it? Not sure what else to be looking at.

I've not tried that many filters, but the WMD Fatman is certainly what I'd describe as deep and throaty, along with the Chicago Iron Parachute or Wilson Freaker wah pedals if you're not just limited to envelope filters. Heard god things about the Guyatone BR-3 Bottom Wah Rocker too, they did some re-issues recently too due to demand from all the Tool fanboys!

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1020216' date='Nov 11 2010, 03:16 PM']I've not tried that many filters, but the WMD Fatman is certainly what I'd describe as deep and throaty, along with the Chicago Iron Parachute or Wilson Freaker wah pedals if you're not just limited to envelope filters. Heard god things about the Guyatone BR-3 Bottom Wah Rocker too, they did some re-issues recently too due to demand from all the Tool fanboys![/quote]

Thanks, I'll have a look into them. Not sure if I can make space for a wah pedal, but I certainly wanna try some others out.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1020228' date='Nov 11 2010, 03:23 PM']Your GR is thin sounding!?

Are you using it on the low setting? Mine seems to crumble the floor beneath me its so deep and sub-like... In fact unless I put it on the high setting I struggle to get it to sound remotly quacky and funky...

Shep[/quote]

I cant seem to find a sweet spot with my GR. The low setting seems too boomy for me, and the high setting gets quacky. I want it to make my bass roar rather than flap at me, but I cant seem to find a setting for that.

Obviously it changes on the input of the bass and the tone of the amp, but I get a huge chunky sound as follows...

Figures listed as 'oclock'
Sensitivity - 10.30
Attack - 7.30/8
Decay - 11
Intensity - 2

Range - Low
Feedback - Up position
Sweep - Up

The new GR2 has a blend so you can get more grit in the signal which would sound better still I think.

I have my GR set to:

Sensitivity - 15.00
Attack - minimum
Decay - 11.30
Intensity - i change it betwen 11.00 and 14.00 depending on me wanting more wah or more quack for the particular song

Range - Low
Feedback - Up
Sweep - Up

If you're in a OD/Filter mood why not try the EHX Bassballs? Not the best filter but it works nice with the OD!

Also, to all GR owners, you have to try plugging your bass into a fuzz pedal (EHX Bass Big Muff Pi, in my case) and connect it to the return jack. Then mic your drummers kick drum and connect it to the GR's input jack. Awesome! This pedal is just amazing! I'm already saving up to get the GR2 by the end of the year :)

Cheers

I think ive found a setting that works for me, finally. Ive been listening to various sound clips and none of them really floated my boat, so I thought id carry on fiddling with the GR a bit more. I think the main thing I learnt was that filters just arent for me, I guess thats why I was never happy with the sounds. I tried the suggested settings and all I got was a wet quack with my bass. I basically tried the opposite, turning the sensitivity and intensity down low and putting the attack and decay quite high. It sounds horrible on its own, but when I put my distortion after it, it gives me that vocal-like roaring sound I was after.

Problem now is fitting the GR back on my board! Might have to sacrifice the Agro as im not sure its working for me.

Edited by deej