Why become a member? ×

Old Peavey/Trace rig: can I make this work?

KK Jale

Those of a nervous disposition or with expensive tastes, please look away now…

Having been asked to dep for a lovely local soul/rock/country 7-piece band, and having sold my bass rig several years ago, and not knowing how long this gig will last, and being poor, I need to make this pair - just hauled out a friend's storage - work!

It's a Peavey Century, 100w each side at 4 ohms, which actually functions okay, and a mystery 2x10 Trace cab that seems to be the leftover top from an AH500 stack, although the label is blank…

First worry: it's a 4 ohm head and presumably an 8 ohm cab, as most Traces were. So that's an issue.

I think the speakers are buggered. The fart out over half volume. I've tried turning the cab 180 degrees: no improvement.

So…

Could this intended high-pass cab actually function, to a reasonably acceptable degree, as a standalone cab?

If so, is it worth buying two new drivers and reconfiguring this cab to 4 ohms? If so, what speakers would be appropriate? As this gig may only be a few months, I need to keep the cost, ahem… down.

Thanks for any help or advice… much appreciated.

As you rightly point out, your amp will give its full output if using a 4ohm load from your speakers.

So, you could a) Upgrade the Trace cab - couple of 8 ohm Eminence Beta 10's should cost you around £120 the pair,giving you a 500 watt 4ohm cab.
b ) Use the 2x10 as it is if you can ,and help it along by getting another 8 ohm cab (1x15"?) to run with it.
c) Just get a newer more efficient cab - plenty on here s/h. A Peavey 1x15 4 ohm Black Widow cab would work fine.(less than £100?)
You will probably be able to sell your Trace cab on here for something - plenty of TE anoraks still around!
d) Buy another set up - again s/h on here. If you buy wisely you should be able to recoup a good amount of your outlay should
you wish to re-sell if the gig does n't last.

Good luck!

Edited by casapete

Merton -

Just attacked the Trace to locate possible high-pass filter. Can't even get the blimming rear plate off. This thing IS fooked. I may look at it again when I'm feeling mentally stronger...

But...

Casapete's Option C - get a replacement cab - is looking increasingly sensible, wise, judicious, etc.

Thanks for the advice...