Why become a member? ×

1959 P body?

Hamster

It really doesn't look right [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-FENDER-1959-PRECISION-BASS-ORIGINAL-BODY-RARE_W0QQitemZ320202080608QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41406QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-FENDER-1959-...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

C'mon you experts! :)

Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' post='115175' date='Jan 7 2008, 01:42 AM']It really doesn't look right [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-FENDER-1959-PRECISION-BASS-ORIGINAL-BODY-RARE_W0QQitemZ320202080608QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41406QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-FENDER-1959-...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

C'mon you experts! :)

Hamster[/quote]

Could very well be a '59 body (it does have the 'router hump' characteristic of an old Fender body) - but there's no way to conclusively prove that without the original date markings...
Maybe if the neck & all the other parts were from a '59 then you could probably safely assume that a refin body was the original body.
But like this? You're basically trusting the seller that it is what he says it is.

[quote name='99ster' post='115529' date='Jan 7 2008, 03:39 PM']Could very well be a '59 body (it does have the 'router hump' characteristic of an old Fender body) - but there's no way to conclusively prove that without the original date markings...
Maybe if the neck & all the other parts were from a '59 then you could probably safely assume that a refin body was the original body.
But like this? You're basically trusting the seller that it is what he says it is.[/quote]

Given the rate of forgery in other antique markets - and the high level of skill required in many of these - the idea that forgeries are not common in the guitar market is perhaps naive, especially given that a couple of dates/signature written in marker pen in the neck pocket is pretty much all that would be required to 'authenticate' a 'vintage' body. The markings in most of my Fenders would be extremely easy to copy and I doubt the original craftsmen would be able to tell the difference if even a half competent forger got to work. Buying a body like that above is a leap of faith unless you REALLY know what you're doing, and I think as has been pointed out above and elsewhere, perhaps even then, at that price, a foolish one :)
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='115594' date='Jan 7 2008, 05:17 PM']Given the rate of forgery in other antique markets - and the high level of skill required in many of these - the idea that forgeries are not common in the guitar market is perhaps naive, especially given that a couple of dates/signature written in marker pen in the neck pocket is pretty much all that would be required to 'authenticate' a 'vintage' body. The markings in most of my Fenders would be extremely easy to copy and I doubt the original craftsmen would be able to tell the difference if even a half competent forger got to work. Buying a body like that above is a leap of faith unless you REALLY know what you're doing, and I think as has been pointed out above and elsewhere, perhaps even then, at that price, a foolish one :)
Chris[/quote]

+100.
I know a guy who basically served an 'apprenticeship' in forging antiques...a business that has been going on for centuries. Whenever anything 'rare' starts to attract high prices the forgers will start to gather - unfortunately it's inevitable.
Clive Brown has started to sign his guitars under the lacquer or have an impressed stamp added under the pickguard because he'd heard rumours that they were being sold as originals (some muppet even tried to sell two of his own restorations to him as originals!).

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='Jebo1' post='115654' date='Jan 7 2008, 06:26 PM']I've seen about 10 or so fakes in my experience. They're easy to spot to be honest if you know what you're looking at, but for the wrong person it's an awful shame to have your purchase tainted by some scumbag.[/quote]

Or perhaps it's just the poor fakes that are easy to spot :)
Apologies Lawrie, I'm not knocking your undoubted expertise, and you're right in that an expert might spot nearly all attempts at forgery. I have to say however that given that some great works of art have been forged, and that these forgeries have on occasion fooled experts, I don't think a '59 Fender body would present too much of a challenge to someone really determined to deceive.
Or perhaps the money in basses isn't big enough for the real expert forgers to get involved?
Chris