Why become a member? ×

Medium Scale Basses

benebass

Hi all - been messing about in the house with an old Westone Concord I bass recently that has a 32 1/2" scale. It's a pretty nice bass for the cash & I really like the shorter neck, but it definitely sounds different to a 34" - much more punchy to my ears. Just wondered if anyone else is playing a 32"ish scale bass round here & how you were finding it.

Cheers,

B.

I have two Fender Urge Mk1s, a Westone quantum and a Thorne Mk 1 (built it myself when 17). All 32 " and love them all. 32" is really comfortable. They all sound quite different (Even the two urges (one Mex, one MIA)), so its hard to say if there is a general '32" sound, or whther its more to do with the choice of strings and pickups etc.

Sadly I'm getting into 5 strings and you don't seem able to get a 5 string 32" at a sensible price (by which I mean sub £600), so I'm currrently torn, using the 5 stringers mostly, but using the four stringers when I need that bit of extra span. If someone made one (in that range) I'd have a fretted and a fretless and I'd be set up for life.

Landing do a 32" five string, but £1500 is too much, especially for a bass that you've not been able to try out, and the same goes for custom jobs.

Ah well, there you go.

Having always played 34" scale basses, usually Precisions, I recently acquired a Hofner Contemporary Violin Bass which has now been fitted with a set of Hofner flats and is by far the best bass I've ever had IMO. It is very easy to play, is fairly light, has a 30.5" scale and the strings are a little closer together. However, they don't suit everyone!!

Edited by phil.mcglassup

You're right that the strings/wood/construction/electronics make a massive difference, but I've found that 30" is defintely more bassy than 34" & 32" seems to add a lot of mids to the acoustic tone...

Count Bassy - I think Crafter do a semi-acoustic (i.e. acoustic bass with electronics rather than Gibson EB-2 style) 32" five string with a RRP of less than £500, but that's the only one I've heard of. It's way over budget, but Birdsong do a 31" five string with something called DST that adds tension to the B string. More info [url="http://www.birdsongguitars.com/instruments.htm"]here[/url]. If you ever think of selling one of those Urge basses, give me a shout!

Cheers,

B.

I've been thinking more and more about what an idiot I was selling my old Aria TSB 550. It was perfect for me.
IMHO it wasn't just the the 32" scale, it was also the really tight string spacing all the way up.
If I ever come into any loot (ha !) I would have a bass made to the same scale, same string spacing, and this time won't have it defretted.

Yamaha also did a BB 32" version that was nice.

I'd love to try a 32" 5 string.

I knew someone would put a Kingbass up :)
I'd love one :)

The Yammie was a long time ago.
Around the time of "Power Of Love" by Huey Lewis, and "set Them Free" by Sting, because I remember they were both in the set at the time, and I gave up on it after breaking the nut on two of them in the slap bit of the Sting thing

I bought it (and got it replaced with another one) from Sound Control in Glasgow, when they where at the Saltmarket (I think it was the Saltmarket, though it could have been the Trongate), and I think it was a BB300.

Edited by 2pods

Been a long-scale player for most of my playing life (huge hands and gibbon-esque arms!) , but my fascination for old Gibsons eventually led me to own a couple of short-scale basses (EB2's) and a medium scale ('85 Explorer)
Medium I think gives best of both rather than the worst of both; the punch and sustain of long scale, but the ability to play faster up and down the fretboard that short scale gives. Makes me gutted that I turned down a medium series 1 Alembic for a grand a few years back because I didn't think I'd get on with it....... :)

Crez,

That Kingbass looks like my perfect bass, headless 32" scale, 16.5mm spacing .... but I suspect a bit expensive for me, both in terms of absolute £s, but also in what is justified for my level and frequency of playing.

Mind you if I sold everything else .....

Only other problem is that people would expect greater things from it than I could deliver!

[quote name='2pods' post='1015134' date='Nov 7 2010, 12:01 PM']You're probably righr re the BB-VIs.
I ended up swapping it for a Korg synth expander, solidiering on with the TSB fretless, then buying a 34" scale Aria RSB Deluxe II.
Metallic red sparkle, um....[/quote]

Well, considering it was the '80s, I think that was relatively tasteful!

Cheers,

B.