Why become a member? ×

Any ACG owners in the Surrey/W.Sussex area?

ikay

[quote name='ikay' post='1014243' date='Nov 6 2010, 01:31 PM']Lovely growly sound! The difference in tone between the settings isn't as pronounced as I'd expected, maybe that's because the filters were both wide open. Also the triple coil didn't seem noticeably quieter to me, did you even out the levels when you stitched it together?[/quote]
Ah, yes, I did indeed roughly even the levels out (bit of slapdash normalisation). If I get the chance, I'll do a demo of switching between the coils without changing anything else.

As for the seeming lack of differences in tone... I think that's largely down to the way the bass sits in the mix, especially with such a busy Latin mix. Frankly, in that kind of musical situation, you'd be hard-pressed to distinguish between a Precision and a double bass. I'll try to do a version with just the bass soloed (no backing track) so you can really hear the differences.

I spent all last night laying awake thinking of options for the fretless I'm thinking of ordering. For a little bit more cash I could get a Finn headless fretless, I just really can't decide if I want two matching basses (since the Harlot is so damn good!) or if I'd like something a little bit different but still definitely "ACG".

I'll update later with the specifications I'm thinking of, as I can't make my mind up! However, playing my Harlot SC today definitely confirmed how right I am in the direction I'm going with my collection. Oh, and I'd definitely consider a Piezo bridge if I don't go for a headless.

BottomEndian, that video does a fairly good job of showing just how good ACG sound; of course without playing with the filters it all sounds pretty similar but exquisite all the same!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1014527' date='Nov 6 2010, 05:30 PM']I'll try to do a version with just the bass soloed (no backing track) so you can really hear the differences.[/quote]
And as if by magic...

Some of that is frankly painful for me to listen to. I could make all sorts of excuses... but I won't. The mistakes are there. It's about the tone. :) The single-coil has a distinct upper-end honk that the humbucker doesn't have, and the triple-coil combines the two pretty well.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1014705' date='Nov 6 2010, 07:59 PM']And as if by magic...
The single-coil has a distinct upper-end honk that the humbucker doesn't have, and the triple-coil combines the two pretty well.[/quote]

Ah now I'm getting it! Very distinct tone with the piezo as well (which I really like). I can see there's endless fun to be had with filter tweaks as well. Thanks for sharing that, very useful..