Why become a member? ×

Neck fender basses

leo_tender

Hi Guys,
I have a question related to de neck of fender basses... Can someone tell me if there is somekind of evolution in the construction of fender necks? A few days ago it occured to me that some fender basses (during the 70's) do not have that darker line on the back of the neck, nore the darkbrown spot on the headstock. Was this common for some production years or...? I already posted the same question on the vintage guitar forum but it seems nobody there has an answer... (are the question is stupid? :) )
I would like to know this cause my eye felt on a "75" Pbass but it feels tricky...

I don't know the exact year in which these changes too place but I know that the dark line on the back of the neck known as the "skunk" stripe was an easy way for them to drop the truss rod in back of the neck and then fill the gap with a rosewood lookalike strip, as opposed to drilling the neck from the bottom throughout the whole length and then insert the trussroad.

As for the spot on the headstock, rumour has it that by the time they switched from the bullet trussroad adjuster situated on the headstock to the X Head screw type adjustment at the base of the neck they already had a large number of necks with the headstock drilled for the bullet screw which they decided to fill with the rosewood plug instead.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1012525' date='Nov 4 2010, 08:18 PM']Skunk stripes appear on necks with maple fretboards. These do not have a separate fretboard so the rod is inserted from the back. On necks with a rosewood board the rod is inserted from the front and the board attached on top.

Jon.[/quote]
In the 70's some necks with rosewood boards had skunk stripes as well.

[quote]What's the story about a -i presume it is not a fake- neck without the skunkstripe, without the brown spot and no bullet trusrod?[/quote]
Necks with rosewood boards don't need either the skunk stripe or the plug.