Why become a member? ×

Vintage Musitronics Mu-tron III on its way from the States

Gunsfreddy2003

I pulled the trigger on a vintage Mu-Tron III a few weeks ago from Ebay USA. I have had it shipped to Lingenberg Sound where he has re-calibrated it, made it true bypass, added an on/off LED and modded to take a 9v power supply.

It should be shipped back this week and I can't bloody wait!

I have heard so much about these pedals that I just hope that it lives up to the hype!

I will be gutted if not as I have spent a small fortune on buying it, the mods and shipping.

Mark

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1010298' date='Nov 3 2010, 06:24 AM']Really hope so - will post some thoughts when it arrives.[/quote]

Been after one of these for nearly the whole time i have had my bass. So many iconic records have had that sound on them. They are just too expensive, for poor old me (sob!)

PS: I hope its as good as your expecting it to be, if not better. :)

I may sound like a fool, but why doesn't someone reissue this? What is it about them that makes the supply so short of the demand, thereby increasing the price? Does it use components that aren't manufactured any more?

I've noticed that Lingenburg Sound helped developed the EHX Enigma and suggest how to make it sound like a Mutron. Does this mean the demand is simply hype?

Dan

Haz labs do make a re-issue called the Mu-Tron III +, I had one and could not get one decent sound out of it! Compared to the Chunk Systems Agent OO Funk or the Subdecay Prometheus it was pretty much useless which is why I did not hang on to it.

In answer to your other question yes they used parts in the original Mu-Tron which I think are illegal now and apparently it is that that makes all of the difference. Like you I have wondered if it is all hype but too many people say the same thing - of you want an awesome funk sound then buy a vintage 'Tron. Surely they can't all be wrong?

I have tried the EHX Q-Tron, Bass Balls and Enigma and none of them did anything for me even though Lingenberg and Beigel designed the things and they were the main guys behind the Mu-Tron!

I figure that if I don't get on with the Mu-Tron at least I will know that I have tried one and I doubt it will be hard to get my money back if I decieded to sell it on.

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1010642' date='Nov 3 2010, 12:31 PM']I may sound like a fool, but why doesn't someone reissue this? What is it about them that makes the supply so short of the demand, thereby increasing the price? Does it use components that aren't manufactured any more?

I've noticed that Lingenburg Sound helped developed the EHX Enigma and suggest how to make it sound like a Mutron. Does this mean the demand is simply hype?

Dan[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1010677' date='Nov 3 2010, 01:00 PM']In answer to your other question yes they used parts in the original Mu-Tron which I think are illegal now and apparently it is that that makes all of the difference.[/quote]

Illegal !! WTF did they use Plutonium or something ??

ps: click on this to see: [url="http://www.ehx.com/forums/viewthread/1759/#15188"]Emulating the Original Mu-Tron III using the EHX Enigma[/url]

Edited by daz

Perhaps illegal was the wrong word!!

It is something to do with the opto-isolators and what they were made of and you can't use the same thing anymore. Sure I read it on here in the first place.

[quote name='daz' post='1012344' date='Nov 4 2010, 05:41 PM']Illegal !! WTF did they use Plutonium or something ??[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1012423' date='Nov 4 2010, 06:58 PM']Perhaps illegal was the wrong word!!

It is something to do with the opto-isolators and what they were made of and you can't use the same thing anymore. Sure I read it on here in the first place.[/quote]

The element used in them is Cadmium I believe - Now illegal to use as its not RoHS compliant!

Edited by Higgie