Why become a member? ×

Talk Me Out Of GAS

ezbass

[quote name='mike257' post='1022744' date='Nov 13 2010, 06:31 PM']I've got a California JM4 and absolutely love it - they're really well made basses, and I've never had a problem with how it sounds, it's great! Have been using it in passive mode lately, sounds great even without that fancy preamp.[/quote]
Good to hear from someone from the pleased camp, cheers.

Just checked the tracking info, it arrived at the delivery depot early yesterday. Hopefully it'll get to me nice and early tomorrow. I'm excited and apprehensive at the same time. Thanks for the extra Sandberg big ups Veils and Paul.

NEW BASS DAY! :) :) :lol:

So first impressions are very good. A couple of tweaks here and there to get it to my spec, but nothing at all wrong with it out of the box. I tested it side by side with my double P p/up Road Worn and my Ray34. The 'Berg's P p/up is spot on, add a little bass and treble boost and it's massive, nice. The blended sound is good adding that edge that should help it cut through when needed. The MM p/up soloed doesn't sound like a Ray, more like a steroid driven bridge J, hardly surprising given its positioning. This is not a problem as I already have the Ray for that anyway. The balance on the knee and on the strap is spot on, but the bass is still a very manageable weight, clocking in at 7.5lbs according to the bathroom scales. This only about .75lbs heavier thatn the RW but without any of the head dive and is significantly lighter than the Ray which is a least another 2lbs heavier. Not keen on the stainless steel strings it came fitted with, but they're better than others I've tried, I'll change these to nickles once I decide it's a keeper. Rehearsal Thursday and gig Sunday should determine whether it stays in the stable. Watch this space.

[quote name='ezbass' post='1024858' date='Nov 15 2010, 04:56 PM']NEW BASS DAY! :) :lol: :D

So first impressions are very good. A couple of tweaks here and there to get it to my spec, but nothing at all wrong with it out of the box. I tested it side by side with my double P p/up Road Worn and my Ray34. The 'Berg's P p/up is spot on, add a little bass and treble boost and it's massive, nice. The blended sound is good adding that edge that should help it cut through when needed. The MM p/up soloed doesn't sound like a Ray, more like a steroid driven bridge J, hardly surprising given its positioning. This is not a problem as I already have the Ray for that anyway. The balance on the knee and on the strap is spot on, but the bass is still a very manageable weight, clocking in at 7.5lbs according to the bathroom scales. This only about .75lbs heavier thatn the RW but without any of the head dive and is significantly lighter than the Ray which is a least another 2lbs heavier. Not keen on the stainless steel strings it came fitted with, but they're better than others I've tried, I'll change these to nickles once I decide it's a keeper. Rehearsal Thursday and gig Sunday should determine whether it stays in the stable. Watch this space.[/quote]

Cool. :)
I genuinely, really hope you get on with it. They are certainly very well put together basses and + 1 about the MM pick up sounding more like a jazz.
A review would be nice, if you get chance.

[quote name='TommyK' post='1025862' date='Nov 16 2010, 01:48 PM']Cool. :)
I genuinely, really hope you get on with it. They are certainly very well put together basses and + 1 about the MM pick up sounding more like a jazz.
A review would be nice, if you get chance.[/quote]
Review done [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=111550&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=111550&hl=[/url] a bit long I'm afraid.

[quote name='TommyK' post='1021818' date='Nov 12 2010, 07:00 PM']+ 1 to this...sadly...

I had one...... for about a week. Thought it sounded good at home, build quality and finish was breathtakingly good. You would think with the MM pup it would cut through really well but not in my experience, probably the worst sounding bass i have played in a band situation.

There......that should help... :)[/quote]

I had a Ken Taylor Basic 5 (the 2 MM pickup version). Like you I found it suprisingly 'dark'. Couldn't fault the build quality and playability but somehow struggled with it in a band situation - tho I considered that to be mainly due to my use of a 15" cab. I'd definitely try another Sandy but I'd probably look at something that had a single coil somewhere on the body.