Why become a member? ×

TC Helicon Products

phil.mcglassup

Hi All,

Leading on from one of my earlier posts in which it was suggested I take a look at the TC Helicon range of effects for vocalists, has anyone any experiences with their gear?

Ideally I am looking for an effect that will automatically convert unison vocals into a chosen harmony (or even harmonies), whilst at the same time adding thickness to my existing voice. It would be helpful if the input to the effect could be adjusted down or removed so that only the chosen harmony (ies) are produced. I can sing the main melody at the correct pitch so no correction is necessary for that.

I see that they produce a large range of effects for vocalists, and I am probably cheating by asking for the effects as mentioned above, but any opinions would be appreciated. The most basic (and cheapest ) option would suffice -nothing too complicated!!

Would it be of any help for me to suggest having a listen to the Digitech Vocalist 2 or 4? You plug in a guitar and a mic, you get out a clean (or mucked-about, if you wish) guitar and original vocal and harmony vocal, and you can change the relative levels of each. The guitar input is so that it can work out what key you're playing in (in that respect, it is actually more intelligent than the average guitarist) and adjust the harmonies accordingly.

I will have a look at them!!

If no instrument is plugged in is it necessary to set the key? I can hit the notes I need to!! I was hoping to find an effects unit that I could just plug the mic into which would add thickness (and harmony if required) whilst gigging without too much resetting between songs, if that makes sense!!

Can it be set to produce a harmony (or two) whilst removing the input vocal? ....now that would be good!!

If it doesn't know the key, the only harmonies it can generate are 5ths and unison/octave (if I've got my theory right). The 3rd changes according to the chord, which will depend on the key. You're not setting the key so it can juggle your original note (not unless you want it to, anyway).

You adjust the mix - separate controls for guitar (if you're using it), main vocals, and generated harmony vocals.

The manual is [url="ftp://ftp.digitech.com/pub/PDFs/Manuals/Vocalist_LIVE4/VL4%20manual%2018-0477-A.pdf"]here[/url] - that will give you a better idea of the capabilities of the unit.

Saying all that, the price seems to have rocketed since we bought ours. I'm sure ours was sub-£300. At least the VL-2 (two harmonies) is still around £220.