Why become a member? ×

1973 Jazz sold

batukarma

Lovely looking bass. Do you still have the original worn-out pups by any chance? Also, anorak alert, according to [url="http://www.fender.com/uk/news/index.php?display_article=272"]Fender UK[/url] the white binding/block on jazz maple necks was introduced in 1974, though I'm not saying this is necessarily the most reliable source out there! Is there a date stamp on the neck of yours?

[quote name='batukarma' post='1004185' date='Oct 28 2010, 06:33 PM']Thanks Lawrence......I think.

I´m not sure what an anorak alert is, but you really ought to check your fact very carefully before you insinuate anything. Not a whole lot of consistancy at the Fullerton factory in the years 72-74, but I assure you that the bass is the real deal.

Still have what´s left of the pups - a bag of loose magnet and metal bits, and not much chance of a rewind I´m afraid.

I still use this bass a lot. It´s set up absolutely perfectly, and I´m not going to unscrew the neck until someone shows a serious interest.

Best

Peter[/quote]
FWIW Peter, I don't think Lawence was insinuating anything. He just asked a question.

Good luck with the sale.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1004196' date='Oct 28 2010, 06:46 PM']FWIW Peter, I don't think Lawence was insinuating anything. He just asked a question.

Good luck with the sale.[/quote]
I would imagine Lawrence to be quite miffed and somewhat upset by the insinuations,I will therefore pass this one over :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1004196' date='Oct 28 2010, 06:46 PM']FWIW Peter, I don't think Lawence was insinuating anything. He just asked a question.

Good luck with the sale.[/quote]

Thanks WoT - indeed, hence when I asked I was careful to link to the source and to point out that Fender themselves aren't always the most reliable when it comes to that type of info! I was just curious to know if they started making those necks earlier than '74, since I really like the white B&Bs and this would be an unusually early one. I'm sure anyone who's interested in old jazzes is well aware of the pitfalls of dating them accurately since they can contain components from several different years in a single bass. Several basses on BC have turned out to be different years to what was originally thought for that very reason. I would think that if yours is one of the very first released with white blocks/binding it would make it more collectable.
Good luck!

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1004212' date='Oct 28 2010, 07:06 PM']Thanks WoT - indeed, hence when I asked I was careful to link to the source and to point out that Fender themselves aren't always the most reliable when it comes to that type of info! I was just curious to know if they started making those necks earlier than '74, since I really like the white B&Bs and this would be an unusually early one. I'm sure anyone who's interested in old jazzes is well aware of the pitfalls of dating them accurately since they can contain components from several different years in a single bass. Several basses on BC have turned out to be different years to what was originally thought for that very reason. I would think that if yours is one of the very first released with white blocks/binding it would make it more collectable.
Good luck![/quote]

Gents!

No offence intented, I assure You.
Being a Scandie, I just wasn´t familiar with the term anorak alert, ..infact I´m still not:) Maybe you would care to enlighten me..

I do know, however, that Fender switched to the 3-bolt system in late 74, so I´m sure the neck isn´t all that unsusual.

Good vibes all around

[quote name='batukarma' post='1004240' date='Oct 28 2010, 07:30 PM']Beeing a Scandie, I just wasn´t familiar with the term anorak alert, ..infact I´m still not:)[/quote]

Ha no worries, 'anorak' is just a term used to indicate someone who has a slightly unhealthily nerdish obsession with something, and is mildly self-deprecatory towards myself in this context. I just meant that one has to be a bit of a Jazz bass nerd to be interested in the minute details of Fender bass history like that. But unhealthy obsession is what basschat is all about! Anyway, all this has kept your lovely bass at the top of the 'for sale' section so that can't be so bad.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1004348' date='Oct 28 2010, 07:41 PM']Ha no worries, 'anorak' is just a term used to indicate someone who has a slightly unhealthily nerdish obsession with something, and is mildly self-deprecatory towards myself in this context. I just meant that one has to be a bit of a Jazz bass nerd to be interested in the minute details of Fender bass history like that. But unhealthy obsession is what basschat is all about! Anyway, all this has kept your lovely bass at the top of the 'for sale' section so that can't be so bad.[/quote]

Cheers for the clarifications Lawrence... and props for keeping the thread red hot :)

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='1004400' date='Oct 28 2010, 09:27 PM']Top notch finish indeed! I love the Seymour Duncan Antiquity series[/quote]

Thanks S, I totally agree. They really were quite an improvement over the stock pups. Just the right mix of clarity, punch and bite and they stil maintain the vintage vibe. Much better in my opinion than the alleva coppola ones that I tested.