Why become a member? ×

Ring Finger

chilisfan16

Hey guys, anyone know any good exercises that can get your plucking ring finger up to the same dexterity as the other two fingers? I've been playing 3-fingered for around a year now, and i'd just like to have a little more stamina in said ring finger. I do basic walking warm ups and play moderate basslines with just my middle and ring (i'm efficient with my index and ring combination to a decent extent, but would like to get that better too!) so does anyone have any cool ideas?

Cheers guys!

Paul

For stamina and consistency I'd recommend playing 16ths, and perhaps playing 4/8 notes per string at gradually increasing tempos.

You can give your left hand a work out at the same time by playing something like:

------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1--------------------------------------
------------------------------------1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1------------------2-3-4-5-5-4-3-2--------------------
------------------1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1-------------------------------------------------------2-3-4-5-5-4-3-2-
1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Etc etc etc. I say practice groups of four as playing triplets tends to come naturally with 3 fingers, but playing groups of 4 evenly can be tricky, especially when you up the tempo. Work on making sure each note is even in volume and attack (for this reason, it's important to start slow and gradually build up the speed).

I tend to use ring middle index then repeat it, so each time I have a different finger playing the first note in the bar. I've played like this for so long it feels natural now but it can take a bit of getting used to, especially when string skipping. Practice makes perfect!

Edited by Wil

Just play along to AC/DC - you'll soon build up endurance and consistency without having to get too fruity with the left hand allowing you to focus on getting your plucking in order. I tend to play ring-middle-index-ring-middle-index etc. It takes a while to get it sounding smooth and starting each bar on a different finger is a bit unusual at first but with a bit of persistence you'll be grand.