Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Partly out of curiosity...

waldemar

Hi all.

Spotted this yesterday (pic below) and having always wanted a 'burst body (a cheap one over ply will do for now...) and at £80 I thought I'd take a punt.

Should be with me tomorrow. I've put a couple of bitsa-P's together over the past year and I'm reasonably confident that I'll be able to get something that's playable set up - even if it means swapping out the neck at some point (hmm... maybe for a jazz) and dropping in a spare set of p/ups I have lying around, so I'm not too fussed that I may have bought a lemon. What is weird, though, is I can't find any other Vulcan P's out there... Is this a homebuild d'ya think?

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1000463' date='Oct 25 2010, 08:47 PM']Probably plywood from the way the dark bit of the burst goes over the forearm contour - its probably like that to cover an otherwise exposed join[/quote]

Yup, guessed that already. Don't mind that at all!

[quote name='waldemar' post='1000460' date='Oct 25 2010, 08:44 PM']Hi all.

Spotted this yesterday (pic below) and having always wanted a 'burst body (a cheap one over ply will do for now...) and at £80 I thought I'd take a punt.

Should be with me tomorrow. I've put a couple of bitsa-P's together over the past year and I'm reasonably confident that I'll be able to get something that's playable set up - even if it means swapping out the neck at some point (hmm... maybe for a jazz) and dropping in a spare set of p/ups I have lying around, so I'm not too fussed that I may have bought a lemon. What is weird, though, is I can't find any other Vulcan P's out there... Is this a homebuild d'ya think?[/quote]

I used to own a Flying V style Vulcan guitar:

It was actually very nice.
The body was plywood too. The pickups were a little microphonic, but they had a nice sound. I liked that guitar.

[quote name='waldemar' post='1000616' date='Oct 25 2010, 10:58 PM']That vee looks cool.

After a bit more of a dig around - apparently Vulcan was a brand name (amongst others) stuck on guitars coming out of the Korean Matsumoko factory. Possibly a forerunner to the Westone brand.[/quote]
Erm - there was no Korean Matsumoku factory. Matsumoku was in Matsumoto city, Japan.

This is likely early 80s Korean - Japanese factories pretty much stopped making copies for export by the end of the 70s so that part of the market shifted to cheaper facilities in Korea, Taiwan etc. It's likely that Vulcan was simply the importer's choice of name and nothing to do with the factory that made it - that was the case with the vast majority of small 70s and 80s brands, and is still the case now.

The neck looks quite tidy, body is almost certainly ply, though.

Jon.

Cheers Jon.

Thanks for the correction and the extra bit of info, what I had gleaned (off the internet) was from a Vulcan Les Paul review I picked up elsewhere, but admittedly, that's no excuse for such an elementary error... :) I'll try to get my facts right next time!

Yeah, the bass looks quite tidy for an old bit of timber - could have some character about it. Look forward to giving it a rattle tomorrow.

Thanks again man!

w./

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1000710' date='Oct 26 2010, 01:16 AM']Erm - there was no Korean Matsumoku factory. Matsumoku was in Matsumoto city, Japan.

This is likely early 80s Korean - Japanese factories pretty much stopped making copies for export by the end of the 70s so that part of the market shifted to cheaper facilities in Korea, Taiwan etc. It's likely that Vulcan was simply the importer's choice of name and nothing to do with the factory that made it - that was the case with the vast majority of small 70s and 80s brands, and is still the case now.

The neck looks quite tidy, body is almost certainly ply, though.

Jon.[/quote]

Hehe. Arrived earlier today and weighs nearly as much as my 2 other P's put together..!

Actually not all that bad, probably needs another £50 throwing at it, new strings and a few hours fettling, but even in its current state it plays reasonably well. Cool enough.

Will replace the crackly pots and jack, but in all honesty the p/ups are sounding clean and round - probably the biggest surprise here.

Rather hilariously, the bridge is on crooked and the nut is a filed out guitar nut, but the strings appear to be in the right place and everything's solid so I don't think it's too much of an issue and I'll straighten it all out in time - all in all, quite pleased with it!

Posting some pics if any of ye are interested, although I'm sure you'd rather be looking at MM's and MIA-P's..!

w./

[quote name='waldemar' post='1001913' date='Oct 27 2010, 12:00 AM']Posting some pics if any of ye are interested, although I'm sure you'd rather be looking at MM's and MIA-P's..![/quote]
Not at all! Far sooner see something a bit out of the ordinary, like this.

J.