Why become a member? ×

Boss GT10B for Muse or not?!

Jathan

Hey all,

I am currently using a couple of separate Boss effect pedals (distortion and chorus) but have been looking to get some more pedals to recreate the Muse sound from Hysteria/Plug in Baby as my band covers these..

I have seen that a Digitech Bass Synth Wah and Electro Harmonics Bass Big Muff will get the sound but these 2 add up to half the cost of a GT10B.. I am therefore tempted to just get the multieffects as I would have other effect options, but I am not sure how possible it is to get the sound of Muse (Wah and Muff) with the GT10B..

Does anyone have one and have any ideas or thoughts on this? I havent had a multieffects pedal before and usually go for separate ones but am tempted just because it would be easier lugging around 1 board instead of 6 or 7 pedals! Been doing searches for info or videos with Muse settings on GT10B but cant find anything thats helped!

Help appreciated!

Thanks.

Separate pedals will usually be better constructed and sound better but I really liked my GT6-B. The sounds were really good but I just found it far too complicated.

I've not listened to much Muse but I've seen the clip of his effects setup so a multifx would probably be a simpler way of switching between songs.

Plus, instead of trying to remember which effects are used on what songs, you can name each setting with the track name.

Another plus, you may find that certain combinations of effects require tweaking of individual sounds which would be much simpler on a multifx instead of having to bend down between songs.

I think I may have talked myself into buying another one :)

Edited by Delberthot

I used to cover PIB and almost nailed both sounds (verse and chorus) with a Line6 POD Live XT. You should have seen my bandmates' "WTF??!!" faces the first day we reharsed that song. Those Line6 gadgets go dirty cheap these days second hand (got mine for 150 € inc. gigbag).

Edited by Fraktal

The absolute essentials for the muse sound are a grindy distortion, a gated fuzz, an octaver (perferably a boss oc-2) and a filter. These will get you most of the synth sounds hes uses, and you'll also need them individually.

An important part of his sound is that everything is blended with clean bass, not sure if any multis can do that, but the ls-2 is your cheapest stompbox solution for blending.

[quote name='bobbass4k' post='998107' date='Oct 23 2010, 02:49 PM']The absolute essentials for the muse sound are a grindy distortion, a gated fuzz, an octaver (perferably a boss oc-2) and a filter. These will get you most of the synth sounds hes uses, and you'll also need them individually.

An important part of his sound is that everything is blended with clean bass, not sure if any multis can do that, but the ls-2 is your cheapest stompbox solution for blending.[/quote]

Majority of multi's should let you blend dry with wet, my ME-8B allows 100% wet and 100% dry on all effects.

Actually the me-8b can get some good muse tones on some settings, synth is VERY good, mixed with the overdrive and clean bass sounds great :lol: Hard to come by, but i got mine for a bargain on here so can be found!

GT10B wise, never had experience of it, seems too expensive to bother with (id never spend more than £100 or so on a multi effect, but then again i only buy effects second hand :)). I had a GT-6B and found it to be quite poor for synthy type tones, although it has some good distortion models. I preferred the ME50B, but again not for synth.

Do consider the difference between Chris's live and studio tone, highlighting just how much processing goes into his sound.

But pleassse dont buy 6 big muffs and a deep impact and expect to be him :)

Again, no experience, but a couple on this forum have said good things about the Podxt Pro/Live in terms of synthy type fuzzness, worth checking out.

Edited by Kev

Guys, thank you very much for your opinions.. I might do some more research on individual pedals and see what I can find. I saw that the GT10B has a Big Muff Bass distortion model but not sure about the other effects needed. I can play the songs fine but it just doesnt sound quite right as my Boss distortion pedal on its own doesnt really come close to the sound.

Thanks for the help chaps.. Going to also download the GT10B user manual now and see how complicated it is! One big plus for the individual pedals is that they are so easy to set.