Why become a member? ×

Pimping up a squier

XPAULUSX

Now then!

I've been offered this bass in a trade for my epiphone eb3. Its a Squier mb-4 and doesnt have all the sh*tty skull rubbish that the one in the picture does.

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/squier-mb4-skull-and-crossbones-bass--40774"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/squier-mb4-sk...nes-bass--40774[/url]

I'll be looking to replace the neck, pickups and bridge.

I know replacement pickups will fit but do you reckon i'd have a hard time replacing the neck?

Also, can anyone recommend me some PJ pickup sets that may be of use to me.

CHEERS

Paul

Edited by XPAULUSX

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='995692' date='Oct 21 2010, 11:00 AM']Now then!

I've been offered this bass in a trade for my epiphone eb3. Its a Squier mb-4 and doesnt have all the sh*tty skull rubbish that the one in the picture does.

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/squier-mb4-skull-and-crossbones-bass--40774"]http://www.dv247.com/guitars/squier-mb4-sk...nes-bass--40774[/url]

I know replacement pickups will fit but do you reckon i'd have a hard time replacing the neck?

CHEERS

Paul[/quote]

I reckon it won't be a simple swap job like a regular P or J neck is. It's a 22 fret neck, there's no saying what shape the heel is, nor where it is with regard to the bridge. The 22 frets might be on a fingerboard overhang, but I can't tell from any of the pics I've seen.

Is there anything particularly wrong with the neck?

You should be fine customising the other two things (standard 5 screw Fender bridge, directly replaceable by Badass II, Gotoh 203, Schaller 3D, Hipshot Type-A (Fender mount) and a plethora of others) and whatever PJ pickups you like!

[quote name='XPAULUSX' post='995692' date='Oct 21 2010, 11:00 AM']Now then!

CHEERS

Paul[/quote]

I shouldnt think a replacement neck would be that hard to come by but I wouldn't replace the neck tbh, the neck is likely to be absolutely fine and probably a truss rod adjustment and fret dress will have it playing well, I would put the money into the pick ups and bridge tbh

[quote name='neepheid' post='995725' date='Oct 21 2010, 11:28 AM']I reckon it won't be a simple swap job like a regular P or J neck is. It's a 22 fret neck, there's no saying what shape the heel is, nor where it is with regard to the bridge. The 22 frets might be on a fingerboard overhang, but I can't tell from any of the pics I've seen.

Is there anything particularly wrong with the neck?

You should be fine customising the other two things (standard 5 screw Fender bridge, directly replaceable by Badass II, Gotoh 203, Schaller 3D, Hipshot Type-A (Fender mount) and a plethora of others) and whatever PJ pickups you like![/quote]

I'd just rather have a maple neck on it if im honest with you, prefer the feel, and of course, the look!

It says on that link that it's a "c-shape" neck, looking on the same website at the bass i own now, a 50's Precision remake thing, that also says, "c-shape".

The neck might be a problem, tried to do this with a VM P Squier last year and getting a new neck on was a real job.

I have just bought a Squier VM Jazz and have changed the Bridge to a Badass, added a pick cover and changed the pots to original black jazz ones looking out for Fralins now to whack in I reckon it will be as good as any American version once I am done. Its starting to resemble a MArcus Miller!

Essentially the new neck was slightly wider than the original squire one. I ended up having to shave off a few mm to enable the new new to fit, it was a bit of a snug fit and I certainly wouldn't want to take it off again but it plays well.

I have just had a look on E-Bay and for £30 you can get a Gotoh Bridge which would be perfect. The Badass are well over priced at £100! [quote name='XPAULUSX' post='995767' date='Oct 21 2010, 11:51 AM']What problems did you have with fitting the neck bassatnight?

also, i cant check that image at work, is there anyway you can embed it into the thread mate?

Cheers.[/quote]

[quote name='bassatnight' post='995902' date='Oct 21 2010, 01:28 PM']Essentially the new neck was slightly wider than the original squire one. I ended up having to shave off a few mm to enable the new new to fit, it was a bit of a snug fit and I certainly wouldn't want to take it off again but it plays well.

I have just had a look on E-Bay and for £30 you can get a Gotoh Bridge which would be perfect. The Badass are well over priced at £100![/quote]

I've got a gotoh on my precision mate :) they're very nice :lol: how hard is it to thin the neck heel to get it to fit?

Also will there be any problems swapping out a 22 fret neck with a 20?

Edited by XPAULUSX