Why become a member? ×

Playing EUB without using your thumbs?

Mottlefeeder

I bought an EUB about two years ago, but never got into it due to worsening health, and I ended up not playing anything for the last 18 months. I'm now starting to pick up the pieces, and find work-arounds for the things I cannot do. My question is about whether it is worth restarting EUB.

My problem is that my thumbs go into cramp if I try and use them for any continuous task, even a light load like holding a mobile phone. The problem is not physical, like carpal tunnel problems, but to do with nerve conduction, chemical balances in nerve cells, etc.

For Bass guitar, I can lay my thumb along the back of the neck, and still reach the strings with my fingers, and I can accept that there will be limitations in speed caused by that playing style.

Firstly, are there any long-term problems in applying the same approach to EUB - especially since I have already had a recurring stress injury in my left little finger? I am also currently recovering from a trigger finger release operation on that finger.

Secondly, is there anyone in NW England who teaches disabled people, or convalescing musicians or similar, who might be able to offer me guidance on what I should or should not attempt to do?

Thanks

David

Hi David,

Assuming you're talking about your left hand; when I first started with lessons last year, my teacher made me hold the strings down without gripping the neck - he showed me an exercise that with the strings held down I lifted my thumb from the back of the neck and 'circled' it round before putting it back. The strings were kept pinned to the board by the force going through my fingers to my elbow to my body so to be 'hugging' the bass.

Not very easy to describe, but easy to demonstrate, but I'm sure you could develop a technique that will give your digits a rest, I certainly found it helped stop cramp building up for me while not stopping playing.

D.

A lot depends on the string height required to get a good sound from your EUB. Mine is designed and set up just like an acoustic - pretty hard work, and I can't imagine it could be played without thumb pressure on the back of the neck (and a lot of it!). However, Steinberger EUB's I've played have always had a much lower action, slimmer neck and lighter strings....more like a bass guitar. That could be a lot more successful?

I'm happy to respond, but please remember that what I am saying is highly speculative, and may have limited applicability.

As Dave says, it is possible to play a double bass without the thumb touching the back of the neck; indeed, such an exercise can be used to help those with a "white knuckle" grip loosen it up a bit.

However - and it is a big however - many people overuse the thumb when playing double bass.

The most noticeable instance I see of this is when people play double bass standing up, and they use the thumb as part of the method of holding the instrument up. With a good stance it is possible to minimise this, but even with this, from my observations there is still some considerable thumb effort involved. I would recommend you avoid this.

I have used an endpin stand and a tripod stand with my stick type EUB; because there is no way of securely holding the body, I still have to employ some thumb effort to keep the instrument in place. Also to be avoided.

The method I have found that places least strain on the thumb is to play the traditional double bass when seated, cello style. By doing this the instrument is entirely supported by the legs and torso, and will stay in place even without your hands placed upon it. In my opinion this offers the most opportunity for placing least strain on the thumb, or indeed the maximum possibility of playing without the thumb resting on the back of the fingerboard.

There are a few videos of me playing this way online, here is one;

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cknDtB3rWb0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cknDtB3rWb0[/url]

I play this way when using my NS Design EUB with the endpin stand, but because of the lack of lower bouts on this instrument, it is not as stable as a traditional double bass, and therefore more thumb effort must be used. I suspect the only way to get the most from this technique would be to use an EUB with a full frame, or just get a double bass and set the action very low.

Jennifer

Thank you all for your thoughts.

I have an NS EUB, with both the monopod and tripod stands, so I may be able to use the tripod, and the bout (gut rest?) from the monopod for more stability. I'll also try standing and seated.

The best news is that you think it is worth pursuing.

Thanks

David

• 5 weeks later...

Small question to add to this. I get that it's better to pull from the shoulder than from pressure on the thumb, but i can't work out how to apply a counter force forwards to stop it essentially getting pushed over (isn't newtons 3rd law a pain) without using my thumb. I hope that made sense.

Edit: I should possibly mention i'm using an acoustic.

Edited by Zach