Why become a member? ×

Marshall 4410 Combo

Bigjas

Hi, new to the Bass and I have bought a new Marshall MB4410 combo. As I understand it, it has a valve pre amp.

Do I need to let the Amp warm up at all? The reason I ask is because when I turn the amp on, all is not well. It is distinctly quieter and sounds awfull. It pops and farts when I try to turn it up, unless I wait for about 5 - 10 minutes and then all is fine. The amp is brand new, is it faulty?

Thanks in advance

Jas

I`ve had 3 different models of the MB range, and not had a problem at all. Could just be some dodgy soldering/a dodgy pot, but I`d get onto Marshall if I were you. I`ve also had great customer service from them. They`re on 01908 375411.

Something doesn't sound right. If you had to wait until it "warmed up" then it would be fitted with a Standby switch to allow for this. The "warm up" thing generally onlty applies to amps with valves in the power section and not the preamp.

I would contact Marshall and ask them the question.

I had a new Marshall 4210 combo and 115 extn cab. I never had to wait for pre-amp valve warm up but after a few gigs I had horrible problems with popping and farting. I traced it back to the crossover board in the combo's cab which is where the frequencies get split for the tweeter and the main cones. There is a ceramic power resistor on legs (for heat dissipation) which is prone to vibration damage. Mine had been shaken loose by the vibrations of the cabinet. i guess it was badly soldered. This vibration was llike a kill switch rattling on and off and created a lot of the sounds you are describing.
Marshall sent me a replacement card.
Then a month later the crossover in the 115 cab went on me as well, this time it was the inductor coil on the board, it had literally shaken itself loose and caused same problem again. Poor QC in the Indian factory or a bit of poor design? Marshall sent me another replacement card. You could get round it by disabling the tweeter but I didn't want to have paid for an amp and cab with tweeter only to find I couldn't then use the tweeter.
The new cards were ok for another 6 months then exactly the same problem occurred again in both cards. I had not been gigging these hard or throwing them around in a car or van, they had been treated gently and handled well. I decided enough was enough and sent them back for a refund.
I still have one of the spare cards that Marshall sent me (actually they sent me the wrong one first time round).
If it's any use to you, pm me your address and I will post it out to you. It's gathering dust here. Disappointed to have had such bad luck with marshall gear - it was a great value amp for the options, power and flexibility of tone for not very much money, but live gigs really need 100% reliability.
Happy to see I am in the minority for this. Marshall did their best to assist at all stages.

Edited by Al Heeley

I've got a MB4210 and I've had reliabilty issues, first one had to go back to marshall and they sent a replacement and that one had a broken spade connector on one of the speakers which I soldered on, since then no trouble at all done about 30 gigs with it, great amp