Why become a member? ×

Building Stompboxes

Geoff

I dont know if this is the right forum for this, but i'm currently making my own distortion pedal, just as a little project to get my electronics back up to scratch, however I cant find a box to house the circuit in.

Has anyone here ever made thier own stompboxes and knows where I can get the boxes from?

Another question ive got is whether Germanium diodes are really that much smoother sounding distortion wise, then a Silicon one?

[quote name='Geoff' post='994760' date='Oct 20 2010, 01:23 PM']I dont know if this is the right forum for this, but i'm currently making my own distortion pedal, just as a little project to get my electronics back up to scratch, however I cant find a box to house the circuit in.

Has anyone here ever made thier own stompboxes and knows where I can get the boxes from?

Another question ive got is whether Germanium diodes are really that much smoother sounding distortion wise, then a Silicon one?[/quote]

I've bought cast metal boxes from maplin before now, but there are cheaper places to shop. On the subject of Ge vs Si diodes then yes. I first fell into electronics by modding a Russian Big Muff (replacing input cap etc..) but the BIG difference was swapping the stock diodes for germanium ones. The difference was like night and day - a really smooth, rich fuzz. Careful though, the germanium diodes are housed in a little glass case of Arsenic. My better half wasn't too pleased when I cracked one at the kitchen table... :)

[quote name='Geoff' post='994760' date='Oct 20 2010, 01:23 PM']...Has anyone here ever made thier own stompboxes and knows where I can get the boxes from?...[/quote]
You can get a cast-aluminium box from Maplin, CPC, and several other UK sources. If you want something shaped like a commercial stomp box, the best advice I have seen is to buy a cheap commercial stomp box (e.g. a source selector), rip out its electronics, and build-in your own.

David

as a base, you cant really beat this for value! [url="http://www.doctortweek.co.uk/shop/article_229/Enclosure-**-Doctor-Tweek's-Enclosure-Kit-No-1b-**---Aluminium-111-*-60-*-30mm.html?shop_param=cid%3D26%26aid%3D229%26"]http://www.doctortweek.co.uk/shop/article_...%26aid%3D229%26[/url]

Yeah go for it, cheers! Ive just ordered an enclosure and some diodes off that Doctor Tweek site, so i'll see how that enclosure is.

Ive got a week off coming up too, so will try and get the pedal done then. My electronics skills are pretty rubbish at the moment, but things like this are a good way of picking things up quickly.

Let me know how your build goes too!