Why become a member? ×

How to build a rack multiselector (like the whirlwind ones)

StevieD_FenderP2009

Does anyone have any idea how to build a rack multi selector?

I need to build one with 4 inputs for:

Wireless 1
Wireless 2
Cable
Mute

Also, i want to be able to have a tiny led above each selector switch so i can tell which channel is in use.
If anyone can help me i'll be so greatly appreciative! I would go and buy one of the Whirlwind ones but lets face it, £300 is quite expensive

Cheers
Stevie

Yep, off the top of my head - if you are happy with a passive one with a rotory switch to be mounted in your rack case, I think I can cobble a schematic together. I actually had a spare rotary switch somewhere, so I know it is possible!

[attachment=61820:Multi_20...uncher_3.gif]
Here's a REALLY rough method of switching. I've nabbed a diagram from the web really quickly and bastardised it, so it's very ugly. You can see this box is for three outputs. A mute could take the fourth pin on the rotary switch and connect it to the ground via a 1M Ohm 1/4W resistor.

Along these lines, but more so, I've always wanted a rack thingy to be able to plug both channels of my compressor in and then select the signal path (through one, none, both, parallel and series), with a footswich to control it (but not sending the signal down to the footswitch, cos that would be daft.

I am full of great ideas, but have the electronics design abilities of the average natterjack toad....

Hey there

Thanks very much for all the replies, especially to d00d on this one for going all out and finding the parts needed for it as well.
I'm going to be really picky here and ask if you know what the sort of buttons are that you find on the front of most old Trace Elliots (especially Series 6 GP12's) where you used to press the button and it would activate the EQ or turn it off but it would not lock in when you pressed it as those are the sort I want for the channel switching. I think these are the ones [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2337"]http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2337[/url]

Cheers

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='994299' date='Oct 20 2010, 12:01 AM']Does anyone have any idea how to build a rack multi selector?

I need to build one with 4 inputs for:

Wireless 1
Wireless 2
Cable
Mute

Also, i want to be able to have a tiny led above each selector switch so i can tell which channel is in use.
If anyone can help me i'll be so greatly appreciative! I would go and buy one of the Whirlwind ones but lets face it, £300 is quite expensive

Cheers
Stevie[/quote]

Hi Stevie,

If you contact me to the address in my signature I should be able to help you.