Why become a member? ×

Warmoth finishes

Alfie

As there seem to be a few Warmoths on Basschat, I thought someone could help me out with this.

How thin are the finishes that Warmoth offer? I like the look of reliced basses, but I would rather get there under my own steam with 40 years of playing, as this doesn't seem to be likely given the teflon coating of modern Fenders, are Warmoth finishes thin enough to wear naturally? Or am I better off getting an unfinished body and having it finished in nitro over here?

As the former owner of 2 - the only way you're getting through the finish is with a file or a saw.

If you want the relic look then there isn;t really any alternative to nitro unless you get someone like Sandberg who do relic finishes

Edited by Delberthot

I was tempted by the Highway One but (slightly guilty secret) [size=1]I'm actually looking for a telecaster not a bass[/size], and they are quite hard to find. I would also like it to be Fiesta Red, so I guess I will either have to get an unfinished Warmoth or refinish a Fender.

On the subject of refinishing, would it be counter intuitive to get a Road Worn and refinish it? I really like the spec of the 50s style telecasters and a road worn nitro finish would be easier to strip than poly.

[quote name='Alfie' post='991347' date='Oct 17 2010, 05:45 PM']...On the subject of refinishing, would it be counter intuitive to get a Road Worn and refinish it? I really like the spec of the 50s style telecasters and a road worn nitro finish would be easier to strip than poly.[/quote]

I've wondered before if it's an option to overspray a HW1 instrument with a nitro colour of ones choice - a la custom shop Fenders.
My concern was it would still wear/flake off easily so didn't bother in the end.