Why become a member? ×

Grafting bass player

GreeneKing

I'm only playing 5 string nowadays and having made the transition (I'm still amazed) I don't want to go back and forth.

My Status Empathy 5 , 34" headless with narrow 15mm spacing at the bridge, has eased my switch, it's immense.

This has meant that my ACG Harlot 4 hasn't been used, despite it being an incredible instrument in both in terms of quality of build, playability, appearance and sound. I couldn't however bring myself to part with it before my custom Gallus 5 headless, neck thru (yes with 15mm spacing) was finished.

Then I saw Alan's stock Gallus 'Graft' series 5er here:

I thought that this would do until the custom bass is completed, keeping me in ACG-ness.

I had the bass re-spec'd to black hardware and an ACG 02 filter based pre:

which I feel looks so much better (thanks Alan for the photos) and picked it up today.

What can I say. This is meant to be Alan's 'economy model' and comes in at a price well below that of other mass produced basses that many revere so much but it really knocks spots off them. It has that same attention to detail and quality of construction that Alan's custom builds have. Okay so it doesn't have a rear body cap (Fender et al don't usually even have a front cap) and there's no scarfed headstock (again like Fender and Co.) but the neck is three piece and the finish is amazing. The neck pocket is a demonstration of good fit and the fact that these UK hand built basses haven't been snapped up is a little surprising to say the least. In fact it's complete madness.

The single pickup, one low pass and one high pass filter configuration is simple yet gives such a wide palette of sounds.

I was a little low key about picking up one of Alan's economy range as opposed to a fully spec'd custom beauty but I was wrong, very wrong. Thank you Mr Cringeon, Scotland's greatest secret :)

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

You wont be disappointed with the pre-amp. If you look inside you will see two white trim wheels which allow you to change the frequency of the bass and treble pots. This allows a degree of customisation to suit your own needs.

Alan

Edited by skelf

[quote name='skelf' post='988350' date='Oct 14 2010, 07:49 PM']You wont be disappointed with the pre-amp. If you look inside you will see two white trim wheels which allow you to change the frequency of the bass and treble pots. This allows a degree of customisation to suit your own needs.[/quote]
This is aimed at me, rather than Peter, in case anyone's wondering. The ACG preamp's ridiculously flexible, completely removing the need for internal trimpot shenanigans.

Anyway, I have the strange feeling my SUB might be getting the boot soon. :)

Really liking that - what a fantastic price

I mean, you're not getting it made to your exact specification but a handmade instrument for close on second hand Fender USA money?

That's surely a bargain in anyone's book.

I was planning on buying myself something nice with the Christmas party night money so this has added something completely unexpected to the mix

Edited by Delberthot

• 1 month later...

Had to resurrect this thread - just been to Pedro's house and had a lengthy play on this bass and I couldn't put it down. I would normally shy away from basses that are shaped 'a bit different' but this thing feels absolutely right and plays beautifully. Very comfortable, light and a superb neck - I loved the simplicity of it.

Might treat myself in the New Year - thanks Pedro. :)