Why become a member? ×

GK 400RB, New England, USA

Count Bassie

I know it's far away and will need to be shipped overseas, and it's unlikely that I'll get swamped with pms and replies for it- but what the heck, here goes, as placed on 'that other forum':

"The Grail of the working bassist, the power-punk of modern jazz, proto-pop's diminutive battering-ram, the GK 400RB bass amplifier. Well-used, it has a bent heat-sink fin and lots of rack-rash on top. Also needs rack ears or a strap-handle, both easily available from GK. All knobs and knob-caps (famous for falling off) are there and secure. All jacks and features are in good order, no glitches.

This amp is a killer of many higher-wattage rated amps, alarmingly loud and full for a "200w" head. It's a loud little bastard. Just forget it's rated 200w @ 4 ohms, it's irrelevant. The amp is very straight-forward to use, has a 4-band eq and the venerable "Boost" knob, which absolutely does what is implied. Leave the eq pretty 'flat' and use the Boost knob! It's the Bullet. There are also 3 filter preset switches for general voice-shaping, they work like they should too.

I've been using it through a pair of Bag End 15s, and it's a definitive Booty Motivator... and it brought forward all the sweetness of my hand-assembled, shade-tree Squire P-Bass strung with Thomastik Jazz-Flats. It's all the amplifier a working bass player will need for any conventional club or "GB" gig; large rooms no exception, the amp can handle it. Very responsive, very tonally flexible, built like a block of pre-stressed concrete. Not as heavy... about 15 lbs. Stick it in a rack box and it weighs less than a bag of textbooks. Maybe a big bag of textbooks. So grow a muscle! :)

It's gone your way for $250 (plus shipping from 02917, USA; I'll box it to be bomb-proof). Thanks for looking in."

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='988116' date='Oct 14 2010, 10:10 AM']I admire you optimism!!! Good luck with the sale.[/quote]

Ha! Yeah, a reach I know. Thanks, I may have it sold here anyhow; like I said to a pm, I didn't intend to waste anyone's time here- just trying to get something done. Shotgun approach...

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='988293' date='Oct 14 2010, 02:00 PM']What about the voltage difference?[/quote]

:) I actually didn't think about that. See, we Americans are sure that the rest of the world is supposed to be just like us, so it never occurred to me that you folks had a different line voltage coming out of the socket. Weird... :lol: So yes, it's likely to be a sale-killer. My bad for the space-shot moment!

The internet. I think this is a pretty good hang-as far as one can 'hang' on a computer. So I thought, :Hey- I'll post it here too! Sure it's 'in' England, but you never know."

Apologies for wasting anyone's time...

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='988533' date='Oct 14 2010, 05:19 PM']Not time wasting at all - or no more so than any of the other gear I peruse. Isn't this what the internet is for anyway (in one form or the other, so to speak :lol: ) ?[/quote]

Well yeah, I guess you're right there. It's not like I pulled someone out of their house to see something they couldn't use. Okay, pardon my apologizing. :)

I'd have taken this by now if this was in the UK. I've already got its bigger bro 800rb. And it f****n rawks.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='988533' date='Oct 14 2010, 10:19 PM']Not time wasting at all - or no more so than any of the other gear I peruse. Isn't this what the internet is for anyway (in one form or the other, so to speak :) ) ?[/quote]