Why become a member? ×

Bass 'clipping'

webby

Hi,

Had my 2nd rehearsal last night with the U2 tribute act I joined last week. All went well, played 17 songs to last weeks 11. Not bad seeing as I only started playing bass again a few weeks ago.

But, I've noticed something in the sound from my bass. When I play the A string I get a nice full, fat sound, but when I play the E string it kind of pops, or clips. Hard to describe, but the ultimate affect is that it is lower in volume than the A string. Is this the bass or the amp?

I made some adjustments to the pups, taking the poles further away from the E string, about 4mm now, cos I thought that might be why it's popping. Other than that I really don't know what to do. It's not really, really bad, it's just a little something I've noticed. I don't think the other band members have noticed it.

If I could sort it out, I'd be pleased.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='986686' date='Oct 13 2010, 10:28 AM']There's a few different things it could be. Try another bass into your amp to eliminate it from the equation.
If it's an active bass have you checked your batteries?[/quote]

It's not active, thanks.

[quote name='chris_b' post='986707' date='Oct 13 2010, 10:43 AM']Take the bridge up if the E string is too low. Are you detuning? Turn up the volume and "dig in" a less.

Is the amp clipping? Turn the master up and the gain down.[/quote]

I think the E string is pretty high as it is, but yes, I'm detuning to Eb. I don't think the amp is clipping. There is a clipping indicator on it to warn me.

I'll try your other suggestions.

Cheers

[quote name='chris_b' post='986898' date='Oct 13 2010, 01:11 PM']There are some DR strings which are designed for detuned basses. They don't loose their tension as much as regular strings when tuned down. Maybe they would help.[/quote]

I'd never have thought detuning by a semitone would have an affect.

Anyway, for the record, the E string is around 2.8mm above the 7th fret, 3mm above the 12th and just over 3mm above the 17th fret.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='986977' date='Oct 13 2010, 03:26 PM']So far then I'm blaming the amp. You need to try a different bass into your amp and your bass into a different amp.[/quote]

Sometimes a bad solder joint will show up like this. Components and their leads resonate at particular frequencies. Maybe a capacitor or resistor is vibrating when you hit a certain note or range of notes.

The contacts in FX loop jacks (especially when not used regularly) can corrode slightly and also become vibration sensitive. Push a plug in and out a few times and see if it improves.

Does the amp crackle if you thump it (not too hard!)?

It does sound to me that the string is making contact with the pole piece on the pickup. I do that sometimes because I dig in quite a lot and it results in a click/pop from the contact being made and the string doesn't ring cleanly, reducing the volume.

You say you have moved the pickups away from the string. Try moving it further or just as a test, cover the pole pieces with a bit of electrical tape.

[quote name='paul h' post='987109' date='Oct 13 2010, 04:33 PM']It does sound to me that the string is making contact with the pole piece on the pickup. I do that sometimes because I dig in quite a lot and it results in a click/pop from the contact being made and the string doesn't ring cleanly, reducing the volume.

You say you have moved the pickups away from the string. Try moving it further or just as a test, cover the pole pieces with a bit of electrical tape.[/quote]

Yep, I reckon it's that. I'll check it out.

Cheers