Why become a member? ×

HOT

Schnozzalee

Hi Guys,

I may be coming back to bass it seems as my rig won't sell, however if I do it will require a very hot percussive sound. What pedal would you recommend for that old fashioned rickenbacker sound and what bass. I really miss my EB3 I know my ideal bass would be a rickenbacker with a thin neck but there isn't much change for that with my budget. Advice please! Go crazy :)

Have you tried an Aria SB oli? I am not saying that it would sound like a Rick but they are great to play and if you get one with an untapered neck, you maybe half way there. BTW, cant believe you were going to the dark side, or should i say the spot-lit side of the stage!

[quote name='bassmeg' post='979656' date='Oct 6 2010, 05:35 PM']Have you tried an Aria SB oli? I am not saying that it would sound like a Rick but they are great to play and if you get one with an untapered neck, you maybe half way there. BTW, cant believe you were going to the dark side, or should i say the spot-lit side of the stage![/quote]

Haha, I still want to after forking out a grand on the Charvel <<< :) I've also got a great semi acoustic which can pull off Van Halen to Lynyrd Skynyrd stuff with the greatest of ease!! I've only tried a couple of Aria's but I know they're in a similar vein as the great build Cort/Ibanez/warwick ultra playable arena. I tend to use flatwounds and fingers for the percussion but its the gainy vintage pickups I like. Don't know anything that has best of both worlds at a budget, probs what turned me off bass.

Hi Oli ,a Vigier Excess sounds very close to a Ric even Roger Glover plays one to get his clank back, If your over my way you can have a go on mine and they have a superb neck as all Vigiers have.

There's one for sale here too nice colour IMO-

[url="http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110594451633"]http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=110594451633[/url]

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='979675' date='Oct 6 2010, 05:58 PM']Hi Oli ,a Vigier Excess sounds very close to a Ric even Roger Glover plays one to get his clank back, If your over my way you can have a go on mine and they have a superb neck as all Vigiers have.

There's one for sale here too nice colour IMO-

[url="http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110594451633"]http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=110594451633[/url][/quote]

I love Vigier!!! LOVE!!! I think you've probably nailed it, just gotta raise the funds :) . Tried Vmaxblues' old arpege, beautiful despite the weird looks. The newer ones look a great deal better just haven't found a finish I like - I'll keep my eye on that, cheers Si :lol:

[quote name='lojo' post='980760' date='Oct 7 2010, 05:30 PM']Im no expert, but have seen comments rating some of the ric copies, not sure if there in budget, perhaps someone can confirm this[/quote]

I owned a John Birch copy and despite it being really nice i'm a finger style player, the pickups were so hot if you touched the poles it'd crackle and the parallel string spacing was unusual for me at the low end. It would have been a smashing bass pickstyle however, no doubt, I just can't play like that. The basses I particularly miss are a hoyer EB3 custom build and a Kubicki Key factor among the stupid amount of basses I traded. I don't wanna spend a mass of money - £600 is enough for me I feel anymore would have to be custom shop/vintage gear.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='979686' date='Oct 6 2010, 06:07 PM']I'd need to try one out, I've never even seen one in the flesh - must be hard to find. I have heard of a lot of praise for them though![/quote]

Plenty available, there's a couple on ebay right now, and they come up regularly here on basschat.
I must recommend you try one at least once, they are very heavy but very playable too.