Why become a member? ×

Hope I've made the right decision!

Neko

Yesterday, I gave up my Squier Vintage Modified P-bass...and got the Pete Wentz signature bass instead. I'd had my eye on it for a while - the perlescant red pickguard and maple neck caught my eye!! Plus it got such good reviews from everyone who's ever played one. The only problem was, my local guitar shop couldn't seem to get hold of one for me! Normally I'd just buy online, but I like to play instruments before I shell out several hundred pounds on them, and I'm fairly loyal to that shop. Anyway, I got the VM P-bass instead, even though I really don't like white.

They finally got the Wentz bass in last week.

It was the hardest decision of my life! The VM had really grown on me (and didn't have that stupid bat decal...), but the sound that thing can produce and the slightly slimmer jazz neck on the PW swung it (and that damn pickguard too!) and I ended up trading. I figure if (when!) I get really good and actually start to play gigs, I can mod it to hell and back too :)

Plus, I'll be a better bassest than him as I'll actually be PLAYING LIVE, rather than jumping round the stage like an idiot flailing my arms around X3

So what do people think? Have I done the right thing?

[quote name='Neko' post='978162' date='Oct 5 2010, 11:47 AM']Yesterday, I gave up my Squier Vintage Modified P-bass...and got the Pete Wentz signature bass instead. I'd had my eye on it for a while - the perlescant red pickguard and maple neck caught my eye!! Plus it got such good reviews from everyone who's ever played one. The only problem was, my local guitar shop couldn't seem to get hold of one for me! Normally I'd just buy online, but I like to play instruments before I shell out several hundred pounds on them, and I'm fairly loyal to that shop. Anyway, I got the VM P-bass instead, even though I really don't like white.

They finally got the Wentz bass in last week.

It was the hardest decision of my life! The VM had really grown on me (and didn't have that stupid bat decal...), but the sound that thing can produce and the slightly slimmer jazz neck on the PW swung it (and that damn pickguard too!) and I ended up trading. I figure if (when!) I get really good and actually start to play gigs, I can mod it to hell and back too :)

Plus, I'll be a better bassest than him as I'll actually be PLAYING LIVE, rather than jumping round the stage like an idiot flailing my arms around X3

So what do people think? Have I done the right thing?[/quote]

Yea iv heard really good reviews too at the PW Bass but iv also seen just as good reviews about the VM P-bass.

I think its a pretty fair trade actually but i would of held on to the VM P-bass just simply coz i couldn't handle knowing that as much as its a great bass the fact thats its Pete Wentz's bass would just eat away at me lol.

Quality wise there is nothing in it i think it comes down to personal choice really. If i could strip the paint work off the PW bass and replace it with my own i would choose the PW Bass too i think.

Put it this way you haven't got any less of a bass by trading =]

Edited by 4StringFortress

I'm glad everyone approves ^^ the VM was an amazing bass for the price, but playing the PW over the past couple of days...wow. I've only got ickle hands, so I was struggling with the VM as it had MUCH heavier strings than the PW. Was going to get her restrung, but since I decided to trade her in I haven't needed to shell out the extra cash. The slimmer PW neck also makes SUCH a difference, even though there's only a 3mm difference between the VM and the PW (I'm sad, I measured them :) ). My fingers seem to dance over the strings in comparison, and I feel like I'm progressing fer quicker than before!

All in all I'm really happy with it :) I'd be willing to try to write my own review, as the point of view of a beginner bassist, if anyone is interested?

[quote name='Meenie' post='978577' date='Oct 5 2010, 05:10 PM']If the decision was down to me looking like Sid Vicious or Pete Wentz i know what i would have done!
;D[/quote]

Well yes, but if I had the option I'd choose to look like Ginger Reyes XD if I woke up one morning looking like either Sid Vicious or Pete Wentz I think I'd crawl into a corner and die :)

I do know what you mean though :lol:

[quote name='Neko' post='979309' date='Oct 6 2010, 12:35 PM']I was struggling with the VM as it had MUCH heavier strings than the PW. Was going to get her restrung, but since I decided to trade her in I haven't needed to shell out the extra cash.[/quote]

Just want to check that this statement didn't mean you would pay a shop to restring it for you?

If so STOP!

Learn to do it yourself, I feel terrible for any kid I see in a shop paying 5 quid for a restring and getting palmed off with whatever strings have been on the shelf the longest for another 15.

[quote name='throwoff' post='979514' date='Oct 6 2010, 03:46 PM']Just want to check that this statement didn't mean you would pay a shop to restring it for you?

If so STOP!

Learn to do it yourself, I feel terrible for any kid I see in a shop paying 5 quid for a restring and getting palmed off with whatever strings have been on the shelf the longest for another 15.[/quote]

I do need to learn :/ I will probably end up asking my teacher to show me how it's done =3 the shop near me though does a restring, including strings, and a full clean for just under £11. Not sure if this is a good deal or not, though from your comment...£15 for strings?? That seems really steep...

Piccies will be coming soon :) and noooooooooo, must avoid marketplace at all costs!!!!!

[quote name='Neko' post='979563' date='Oct 6 2010, 03:24 PM']I do need to learn :/ I will probably end up asking my teacher to show me how it's done =3[/quote]

Best thing you can do. I find restringing quite theraputic :)

Learning your instrument is just as important when you first start as learning to play it.

Learn how to change the action, how to clean the fingerboard and so on. It will make it far more pleasant an experience and help you keep at it.

Mind you I am one of those people that takes almost everything I own to bits eventually to see how it all works!!

Oh and you can get strings cheaply but investment is everything.
A good quality set will normally sound better, last much, much longer and most importantly for a new player feel nicer.

The last thing you want is a cheap set that rust after a couple of weeks and hurt your fingers! I am not saying spend 50 quid on a pack but 15/20 is a good figure.

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='throwoff' post='979578' date='Oct 6 2010, 04:38 PM']Best thing you can do. I find restringing quite theraputic :lol:

Learning your instrument is just as important when you first start as learning to play it.

Learn how to change the action, how to clean the fingerboard and so on. It will make it far more pleasant an experience and help you keep at it.

Mind you I am one of those people that takes almost everything I own to bits eventually to see how it all works!!

Oh and you can get strings cheaply but investment is everything.
A good quality set will normally sound better, last much, much longer and most importantly for a new player feel nicer.

The last thing you want is a cheap set that rust after a couple of weeks and hurt your fingers! I am not saying spend 50 quid on a pack but 15/20 is a good figure.[/quote]

I shall remember that, thank you :) next time I'm over that way I'll check out the various prices! I'll need to work out how thick I need them, how often to change them, etc anyway! I'm more than happy to spend £50 on a set of strings if they feel right and sound amazing. I know that for the thinner strings it's more often, but my knowledge pretty much ends there, I have a lot still to learn...

I'm like that too though, I'll sit at work taking the toy helicopters we sell to pieces XD I now know how to fix pretty much any problem with them!! I can do the BB guns now too :)