Why become a member? ×

96 US Jazz 5. What machine heads?

Owen

I picked up a repaired US Jazz 5 neck from silverfoxnik. I have now worked out what to do with it but cannot work out what machines to put on it. It had none when nik had it, and the holes vary in size from just over half an inch to almost three quarters. Truly stupendous QC.

There is a US J5 from the same year on here (http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97782) but the machines are too small for the holes. I have tried some Gotohs and they just get lost. I have a set of bog standard Fender-esque Schallers but the backplate is too big. There seem to be 3 holes for these, two towards the tip of the headstock and one towards the nut. I REALLY don't care about authenticity, but wondered if anyone could shine a light on what might fit there? I can do pics if it helps.

TIA

[quote name='owen' post='970192' date='Sep 27 2010, 11:15 PM']I picked up a repaired US Jazz 5 neck from silverfoxnik. I have now worked out what to do with it but cannot work out what machines to put on it. It had none when nik had it, and the holes vary in size from just over half an inch to almost three quarters. Truly stupendous QC.

There is a US J5 from the same year on here (http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97782) but the machines are too small for the holes. I have tried some Gotohs and they just get lost. I have a set of bog standard Fender-esque Schallers but the backplate is too big. There seem to be 3 holes for these, two towards the tip of the headstock and one towards the nut. I REALLY don't care about authenticity, but wondered if anyone could shine a light on what might fit there? I can do pics if it helps.

TIA[/quote]

I've also got my 1996 USA J DLX V up for sale on here!

Mine came with sealed back Fender badged machines which look suspiciously like Gotoh's to me. I replaced mine with Schaller ultralites and still have the original fenders as well. I could be pursuaded to put the stock Fender's back on my bass and sell the Schallers if your interested?

As to the QC, the neck on mine is really well drilled with all the holes uniform. Could it be that somebody has opened out the holes in your head to fit bigger elephant ear open back tuners before realising that you cant get 5 of them in a line on that headstock? Also, my bass has a ferrule pressed in to each tuner post hole from the front. If you dont have these, you'll need to get a set to refit the original type machines.

[quote name='JPJ' post='971503' date='Sep 29 2010, 10:58 AM']...Could it be that somebody has opened out the holes in your head to fit bigger elephant ears....[/quote]
Quote of the month. :) :lol: :)

[color="#808080"](a little artistic license used by adding an "s" at the end to make the quote fit with what my dyslexia originally told me it said)[/color]

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='971551' date='Sep 29 2010, 11:38 AM']Quote of the month. :) :lol: :)

[color="#808080"](a little artistic license used by adding an "s" at the end to make the quote fit with what my dyslexia originally told me it said)[/color][/quote]

:) :D :lol:

What's the best remedy for getting coffee out of my keyboard

:( :lol: :lol:

[quote name='owen' post='970192' date='Sep 27 2010, 11:15 PM']There is a US J5 from the same year on here (http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=97782) but the machines are too small for the holes. I have tried some Gotohs and they just get lost. I have a set of bog standard Fender-esque Schallers but the backplate is too big. There seem to be 3 holes for these, two towards the tip of the headstock and one towards the nut. I REALLY don't care about authenticity, but wondered if anyone could shine a light on what might fit there? I can do pics if it helps.[/quote]

Just checked the afore mentioned J5 pics and also my '96 US Jazz which is also for sale. They both have the same kind of Gotoh tuners, so I guess these would be the natural choice if you can get them.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='971600' date='Sep 29 2010, 12:22 PM']Just checked the afore mentioned J5 pics and also my '96 US Jazz which is also for sale. They both have the same kind of Gotoh tuners, so I guess these would be the natural choice if you can get them.[/quote]

I have some Gotohs like in the pics, but the holes are WAY too big for them. I have a set of bog standard Schallers with the ferrules which kind of fit so I will get the metalwork dept in work to slce a bit of the backplate off and then I can rejoice in the fact that I have saved a few £ :)

Thanks all.